OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Is this filesystem idea silly?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 7:34 am 
A fat with filename and such data and pointer to the first sector of the file. Then every sector has a pointer to the next sector or a zero if the file ends here.

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Is this filesystem idea silly?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 7:28 pm 
I think that's how the Microsoft FAT system works (mostly).

Filesystems like Ext2fs use the idea of centralized link blocks, but fat uses more of a linked list style.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 11:29 pm 
This is not the way FAT works. When i started developing an os i also "invented" this FS. But there are 2 Facts that made me say NO:
1st: The Disk will become fragmentary[?!?! bad english ... sorry...- the thing DEFRAG will repair-]
2nd: When u store a pointer to the next sector in every sector u also have to store a state Byte that says endoffile aso. That is an enormous waiste of memory. Also, when u load a File, consisting of more than one sector u always will have to delete the Pointer and the state Byte. Better use FAT. Its supported by win (of course *g*) and Linux. So Files can easily be copied to the disk and u wont need no extra tool that allows access to this filesystem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 4:45 am 
Quote:
1st: The Disk will become fragmentary[?!?! bad english ... sorry...- the thing DEFRAG will repair-]

Yes, I figured that out myself. Just gives me the joys of writing a defrag app for my brand new OS. :)