OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ehhh..
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:54 am 
Hi there!

I guess, you've all seen this kind of messages thousand times, but anyway.. :) I'm going to write an OS that would support windows, Linux and BSD executables. Yeah, a kind of the-very-best-os-in-the world =) . I've just started coding the kernel (nope, kernel here doesn't mean just displaying "Hello world" =) ).. I've got a lot of ideas and some experience.. But.. it's kind of boring to write everything on my own..

Anyone wants to join me? =) ..Knowledge of C and Intel architecture would be nice, of course..

Post subject: Re: Ehhh..
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:51 pm 
I'm certainly interested in what you have done so far since my goal is about the same as yours(minus the BSD).

K.J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:30 pm 
I've written the bootsector for fat16 + bootloader (the loading process is a bit overcomplex, but it allows - in principle - to boot from any hardware and filesystem).. then.. Not that much code for kernel.. only a (temporary) console device (write-only) and a memory allocator.. As soon as I finish the dynamic linking of kernel and a couple of boot-time drivers (filesystem and low-level disk driver) I'll start writing regular drivers and some basic process management. It's gonna be a microkernel, but I guess it can allow for kernel-mode drivers, as well..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:06 am 
Anyone out there??...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:25 am 
Sorry, my goal is completely different ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:14 am 
Could you post a link(or email me) for the FAT16 bootsector source code(if your giving out source code) please?

K.J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 5:57 am 
Hey, K.J., check your mail! =)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:26 am 
Thanks, I do have some trouble witht the AT&T synax. I got the A2I (AT&T to Intel found at http://www.multimania.com/placr/a2i.html ) converter, but it doesn't want to work. Am I corect that the main difference between AT&T and Intel is that there are percent sings in front of the registers and the stuff needs to be switch around like this:

AT&T
mov %ax,%bx

Intle
mov bx, ax

Is that right?

Thanks,
K.J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:01 am 
The main differences are:
1. You get reverse operands order (mov src,dst)
2. Instructions need to have suffixes indicating the length of the operands (b for byte, w for word, l for dword). I guess, suffixes can be ommited..
3. Registers names are prepended with %.
4. All immediate values (numbers, addresses) are prepended with $.
Knowing this you should be able to read and write AT&T-style assembly. ..It took me one day to switch.. :)