Haiku drivers

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
pvc

Haiku drivers

Post by pvc »

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or not. If not, @mod, please move it where it belongs (maybe except /dev/null ;) )

I recently tried recent version of Haiku and I really like it. It has become much more usable since when I tried it last time. I want to use it on my `music` PC. Everything I need runs fine on on it, except USB MIDI devices. This is a must for me. Now I just reverted back to using Linux. But I've looked into Haiku source code and I've found actual `usb_midi` driver. I've even read somewhere that it works. The thing is I am not familiar with Haiku's driver model, its build system or even general architecture. My question is: Can I build drivers by themselves and load them at runtime just like Windows drivers or Linux modules? Or do I have to rebuild entire kernel and somehow swap it with existing one?
iansjack

Re: Haiku drivers

Post by iansjack »

Since Haiku is based on BEOS I would imagine it uses the same driver model of dynamically loaded modules. So for starters you probably want to read the Be Book: https://www.haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/be ... ction.html