OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Can Windows be replaced, and how !?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:00 am 

Quote:
All the IntelliJ stuff is much slower (PyCharm, GoLand, Android Studio, …)!

Yes I said that before, you're right.

So the solution is : spend 1000$ on a PC to relieve slowiness anxiety and play COD. Pretty much a good solution. The dev channel on windows 11 has a lot of bugs lol.

I think someone should answer me on the articles I want to post on osdev, and the Graphics API Implementation topic !
I should see a mod if he wants to do that right ?
Devc1,

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:30 am 

devc1 wrote:
iansjack wrote:
Again, you confuse the application with the OS.

Well the applications are what makes an OS
So you think that Windows, Mac OS, Linux, FreeBSD, etc. are all the same OS because there are applications that run on all of them?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:33 am 

devc1 wrote:
I think someone should answer me on the articles I want to post on osdev, and the Graphics API Implementation topic !
I should see a mod if he wants to do that right ?
Devc1,

It's a Wiki! If you want to write an article then do so; you don't need permission from anyone to do so. But it would be wise to base such articles on documented facts rather than unverified personal opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:21 am 

Ok so you think that I am saying complete non-sense. What do you mean by Linux, Windows, MacOS not the same without applications. Create the best OS in the world, if you have no billions to bring companies to create apps for you your OS will be just thrown in the trash can. Youu,,, are saying non-sense now. Do you think that I will use BestOS that has no Google Chrome, no Microsoft Office, no Games and no Facebook, re-think of it.

Wikipedia says : the low-level software that supports a computer's basic functions, such as scheduling tasks and controlling peripherals. They are talking about the kernel and the drivers??

My personal (unverified) definition is : An OS is some complex bunch of software that runs your computer, it is composed of the kernel, drivers and APPLICATIONS. If one of these things is removed, this will be called garbage not an OS.

Non-Sense, Devc1.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:22 am 

Sign the definition in the Wikepedia NOW !! haha... I am just kidding : )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:45 am 

Perhaps the owners should rename this site as computerprogramming.org.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:05 am 

Why ? Is your answer a trap : ) :0-0:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:24 am 

Sorry, but your claim that languages like C# are slow is prime BS. Python is, but .NET uses a JIT compiler which lets it optimize for your processor on the fly. And the JIT that .NET uses is one of the best ones I've ever seen. Java uses a JIT compiler too, though I'm not sure if its as good. And keep in mind that all of these languages that you call "dumb" are not only safer to program in (C is notoriously dangerous), but you can always call into native code when necessary. And .NET allows you to AOT-compile your code, too. I significantly doubt that Visual Studio is extremely slow because its written in C#. C is not as perfect as you think. And, regardless, you can write ridiculously slow code in C. Whether a language is JIT compiled or compiled ahead-of-time doesn't really have any influence on how fast the language is. You can write slow code in anything.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:13 pm 

Anyway, I’m dubious of the claim that Visual Studio is written in C#. My understanding is that parts are written in C# and other parts (the core) in C++. But I couldn’t swear this is true as I try not to make unsubstantiated claims.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:12 pm 

iansjack wrote:
In both Windows 10 and 11 if you search for "Disk Manager" with Cortana the right-hand pane in the result has the option "Open". Clicking this (surprise, surprise) opens Disk Management. :?

Not on my machine.(TM) lol There is no right-click menu at all here. I don't know what it is, but this laptop behaves differently to my desktop. They're both Win10 machines set up by the same shop. The laptop only has 2GB RAM so maybe some updates weren't applied because they'd use more memory? I don't know. I'm hoping to replace it tomorrow anyway.

But you missed the point. :) I don't want to have to run this one command differently to others. Cortana doesn't give me an "open file location" option. I did get one from the task manager, and it seems to be a multi-application executable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:16 pm 

It’s not a right-click menu item, it’s just a link that you left click on. I’m not on a Windows machine at present, but I think it gives this option for all applications you search for. No need to mess about with a context menu, just a single click.