OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: app/os development: help/ideas.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:08 pm 

hi, i finished making the os itself, however, i don't have any ideas on what kinds of applications i should make to demonstrate what it can do.
i thought of making a shell/apple ][-based user interface, but i'd have to make a lotta commands and stuff, so i decided to face this challenge later and only make simple stuff for now.
the os code is available on github, it even has the shell i mentioned before but obviously it's pretty unfinished:
https://github.com/retro-64K/Aaron-DOS
you guys can also suggest what i should add/remove in my code, but keep in mind that the os mustn't be over 512 bytes big (no important reasons for that, it's just me challenging myself lol).

Post subject: Re: app/os development: help/ideas.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:41 am 

Bruuuv, try a calculator app and you will need KiloBytes if not MegaBytes of code, create a real OS! You will need a kernel with memory management, process management, processor management, pnp management, program loader (PE/ELF...) and user mode management. Then you must create disk drivers, file system drivers, maybe USB drivers, after that you can make your fantastic calculator, shell, file explorer and UI... applications.

You do not need to do all of these steps of course, if you want a rapid solution you can just go on a kernel with memory management, program loader and usermode management (System Calls, IPC, RPC...)

It may seem hard in the first try, but trust in yourself and do it !

Devc1