OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: arm-none-eabi for os development, hardfp/softfp libgcc issue
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:30 am 

Hi,

My kernel supports ARM architectures ; to build i use the arm-none-eabi toolchain (https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-sof ... /downloads). I did not build a cross-compiler and directly used this toolchain because i believe it does targets bare metal, so no need to rebuild a compiler to do that. Am i wrong ?

However, i had problems recently :
i link with libgcc, which gives me support for divmod (division and reminder) (_udivmoddi4 and such)
I target multiple architectures, and i only compiled for i686 ; when i tried to compile for ARM again, i got this error :
Code:
arm-none-eabi-ld: error: kernel.elf uses VFP register arguments, libgcc.a (_udivmoddi4.o) does not

I compile my kernel with
Code:
-mfpu=neon-vfpv4 -mfloat-abi=hard
, as i target RPI2. I don't understand where i am using a VFP register, because i don't have any floating point operation in the kernel ; but i added a 64-bits integer division, which i suspect gcc will optimize using vfp registers (ARMv7 is 32-bits).
It appears that the libgcc provided with arm-none-eabi is 'softfp' : software-only floating point operations, and that is incompatible with 'hardfp' : hardware floating points operations.

The way i see it, i only have 2 solutions :
- Change the kernel compile flag to softfp (which means all operations are done in software, no hardware acceleration : poor performances...)
- Rebuild/have a libgcc on each kernel compilation for my target (vfpv4 here, but might be different for rpi0 or rpi4 or ...) with hardfp (which seems really boring and tedious to setup...)

I think i'll go for the second option ; but is there something i'm missing ? something i don't see ?

EDIT : something that seems strange to me is that uint64_t division generated code that uses VFP registers, but uint32_t division used libgcc udivmod...

Post subject: Re: arm-none-eabi for os development, hardfp/softfp libgcc i
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:27 pm 

Okay, i found another solution :
the toolchain actually provides different libgcc, it seems to be one for every use case.
I now link with the one in : lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/10.3.1/thumb/v7-a+fp/hard/ and there seems to be no problem.
I'm not forced to build libgcc myself and keep it arround in the project then, that is acceptable to me.

However, i don't understand why those libraries are in the 'thumb' subdirectory. I did not look there before, because my issue has nothing to do with thumb mode...
I'm not really familiar with thumb mode, but i don't see why those different libgcc versions would be there...
Also these are only available with the most recent versions of the toolchain i think...

Anyway, the main problem seems fixed...
I would still like to have an explanation as why these libraries are below the thumb directory (are they using thumb mode ? why ??)
or why gcc generated vfp code only for 64-bits divisions and not 32-bits ones...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:32 pm 

That cross-compiler only has multilib configurations for the Cortex-A/R/M series CPUs, but the default CPU is ARM7TDMI. Add -mcpu=cortex-a7 (or whatever is appropriate) to your command line and GCC will automatically choose the correct libgcc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:49 am 

Octocontrabass wrote:
That cross-compiler only has multilib configurations for the Cortex-A/R/M series CPUs, but the default CPU is ARM7TDMI. Add -mcpu=cortex-a7 (or whatever is appropriate) to your command line and GCC will automatically choose the correct libgcc.

I already passed to gcc `-march=armv7-a` and `-mtune=cortex-a7` ; i think these are equivalent to `-mcpu=coretex-a7` for GCC ?
But i'm linking with ld (should i just replace it with gcc ? i'm always confused as how those two are not equivalent because i don't think there is a way to know which flags or options gcc will pass to ld when it invokes it...).
i had to add manually `-L ${cc_path}/../lib/gcc/${cc_toolchain}/${cc_version}/thumb/v7-a+fp/hard` and before `-L ${cc_path}/../lib/gcc/${cc_toolchain}/${cc_version}` for ld to be able to find `-lgcc`.

I can't pass `-mcpu` to ld i think ; are you saying that passing to gcc should be enough so that ld finds the correct libgcc, or that i should link with gcc ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:58 am 

vhaudiquet wrote:
But i'm linking with ld (should i just replace it with gcc ? i'm always confused as how those two are not equivalent because i don't think there is a way to know which flags or options gcc will pass to ld when it invokes it...).
If you use gcc to link object files, gcc will select the correct options and start files, and construct the linker command line accordingly. Which admittedly hardly matters for a kernel written in C, and these days doesn't even matter for C++ kernels because the .init_array mechanism works without start files. Also, adding gcc will add libgcc to the command line, which ought to help with exactly the kind of problem you were having here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:06 pm 

vhaudiquet wrote:
I already passed to gcc `-march=armv7-a` and `-mtune=cortex-a7` ; i think these are equivalent to `-mcpu=coretex-a7` for GCC ?

Yeah, they should be.

vhaudiquet wrote:

You should link with gcc. If you want to see the flags gcc will pass to ld, add "-v" to the command line. (Actually gcc will invoke collect2 and collect2 will invoke ld, but collect2 passes the flags to ld unchanged.)