OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Weird behaving floats/doubles
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:01 pm 

For some reason when doing maths on floats/doubles they start behaving rather weirdly.
For instance, when multiplying 0.235 by 1000, the result is 234, not 235.

I also wrote a script that simply to convert a fraction to an integer, it first extracts the decimal points `(x * 1e17 - (uint32_t(x)) * 1e17) / 1e17` then keeps multiplying the number by 10 until the condition dec == 0 equals to true.
Problem is with many points (can't pinpoint which ones) for example 0.295, everything freezes which I presume is due to the condition never evaluating to true. Could it be an issue with the FPU configuration?

The initiation of the FPU is pretty much the exact from the documentation and set to word 0x37F with the CR4 or'd with 0x200.

I am running in protected mode.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Weird behaving floats/doubles
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:56 pm 

YDeeps1 wrote:
everything freezes which I presume is due to the condition never evaluating to true.

Have you checked with a debugger?

YDeeps1 wrote:
The initiation of the FPU is pretty much the exact from the documentation and set to word 0x37F with the CR4 or'd with 0x200.

Which documentation? Which word is set to 0x37F? Why aren't you setting OSXMMEXCPT in CR4?

Which floating-point instruction sets did you tell your compiler to use?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:51 pm 

Octocontrabass wrote:
YDeeps1 wrote:
everything freezes which I presume is due to the condition never evaluating to true.

Have you checked with a debugger?

YDeeps1 wrote:

Which documentation? Which word is set to 0x37F? Why aren't you setting OSXMMEXCPT in CR4?

Which floating-point instruction sets did you tell your compiler to use?

Have you checked with a debugger?:
I have checked and did confirm that is the case. The three digits did become integers (with the weird precision) followed by random numbers causing it to never finish and eventually overflow to a negative value.

Which documentation?:
I got the documentation confused with another one, ignore that.

Which word is set to 0x37F?:
I set the control word with fldcw to a memory location containing 0x37F.

Why aren't you setting OSXMMEXCPT in CR4?:
I have set it now (10th bit starting at 0 in CR4).

Which floating-point instruction sets did you tell your compiler to use?:
Not sure how or where to set this. I assume the defaults in a g++ cross-compiler?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:12 pm 

YDeeps1 wrote:
I have checked and did confirm that is the case. The three digits did become integers (with the weird precision) followed by random numbers causing it to never finish and eventually overflow to a negative value.

It sounds like the algorithm you've chosen isn't stable. Stable algorithms take a bit of effort, but they do exist. Of course, you must still initialize the floating point environment correctly for these algorithms to work as expected.

YDeeps1 wrote:

Did you initialize the rest of the x87 registers using FNINIT? Did you initialize MXCSR?

YDeeps1 wrote:
Not sure how or where to set this. I assume the defaults in a g++ cross-compiler?

The defaults might depend on how you built your cross-compiler. Here are the options to control which instructions are used.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:27 pm 

YDeeps1 wrote:
Are you rounding the result correctly or are you just truncating it?
235/1000 = 47/200. Since even the completely reduced fraction does not have a power of two as denominator, 47/200 cannot be represented as a finite binary fraction. Therefore any floating-point representation of it must be rounded, so either a little above or a little below. And indeed this can depend on the precision used to save the number (e.g. 0.1 as a single precision number was a bit below, and as a double it was slightly above 0.1). So if you save the number in a precision that is slightly below the target, then your calculation may result in 234.999... and if you then get the result by truncating instead of rounding, yes, you get 234 out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:48 am 

nullplan wrote:
YDeeps1 wrote:
Are you rounding the result correctly or are you just truncating it?
235/1000 = 47/200. Since even the completely reduced fraction does not have a power of two as denominator, 47/200 cannot be represented as a finite binary fraction. Therefore any floating-point representation of it must be rounded, so either a little above or a little below. And indeed this can depend on the precision used to save the number (e.g. 0.1 as a single precision number was a bit below, and as a double it was slightly above 0.1). So if you save the number in a precision that is slightly below the target, then your calculation may result in 234.999... and if you then get the result by truncating instead of rounding, yes, you get 234 out of it.

That would actually make a lot of sense. The algorithm does not try to round at all and was made without real thought. I should add a precision limit first and then implement an algorithm to round nasty numbers or round to x decimal places. If I remember correctly, the numbers after were .99999 or something similar which would make sense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:52 am 

Octocontrabass wrote:
YDeeps1 wrote:

It sounds like the algorithm you've chosen isn't stable. Stable algorithms take a bit of effort, but they do exist. Of course, you must still initialize the floating point environment correctly for these algorithms to work as expected.

YDeeps1 wrote:

Did you initialize the rest of the x87 registers using FNINIT? Did you initialize MXCSR?

YDeeps1 wrote:

The defaults might depend on how you built your cross-compiler. Here are the options to control which instructions are used.

Yeah I figured my algorithm is not stable and does not take into account lack of precision.

Did you initialize the rest of the x87 registers using FNINIT? Did you initialize MXCSR?:
I thought running fninit initialized all of the registers. Regarding MXCSR I have not, first time hearing about it actually.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:41 pm 

YDeeps1 wrote:
I thought running fninit initialized all of the registers. Regarding MXCSR I have not, first time hearing about it actually.

FNINIT only initializes the x87 registers. MXCSR isn't an x87 register, so you need to initialize it separately if you want to use SSE or AVX. (You don't need to initialize MXCSR if you're not using SSE/AVX.)