OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Cannot set video mode on real hardware
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:07 am 

Danyy wrote:
I think I couldn’t clarify. Using VBE I am getting the list of supported video modes and checking the mode that supports 1920x1080x32 and set it, meaning I am not hardcoding any mode. My graphics card being 2080ti and monitor being a 2k monitor, they should support video modes such as 1920x1080x32 but VBE doesn’t report them.
In general, if you are using VBE, and the mode you want is not in the list, then you cannot use the mode you want. Your bad luck is that nVidia really does not like the VESA/VBE, and actively sabotage their use. I had heard they actively remove the native panel resolution from the list of supported video modes. Your only hope is to find enough documents to build a basic framebuffer driver for your graphics card. Although I had also heard that nVidia will release or has released enough documentation of their graphics cards to get a frame buffer going at least. Maybe we ought to tutorialize that process in the Wiki. I once tried to figure out how to do it for Intel graphics cards, and only got a lot of abbreviations and a headache out of it.

Post subject: Re: Cannot set video mode on real hardware
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:47 am 

nullplan wrote:
Danyy wrote:
I think I couldn’t clarify. Using VBE I am getting the list of supported video modes and checking the mode that supports 1920x1080x32 and set it, meaning I am not hardcoding any mode. My graphics card being 2080ti and monitor being a 2k monitor, they should support video modes such as 1920x1080x32 but VBE doesn’t report them.
In general, if you are using VBE, and the mode you want is not in the list, then you cannot use the mode you want. Your bad luck is that nVidia really does not like the VESA/VBE, and actively sabotage their use. I had heard they actively remove the native panel resolution from the list of supported video modes. Your only hope is to find enough documents to build a basic framebuffer driver for your graphics card. Although I had also heard that nVidia will release or has released enough documentation of their graphics cards to get a frame buffer going at least. Maybe we ought to tutorialize that process in the Wiki. I once tried to figure out how to do it for Intel graphics cards, and only got a lot of abbreviations and a headache out of it.

Instead of writing a driver, I decided on letting things be the way they are. I just added 1280x1024 video mode support and rolled with that