OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: understanding paging
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:32 pm 

I'm just trying to understand paging. I read "paging" and "setting up long mode" articles from OSDev wiki. I also tried to read AMD manual, but... I can't even understand OSDev article... It didn't help me much.

Let's start with a simple question, i.e. such a functions:

Code:
int get_addr_in_pte(u32int addr)
{

return (addr >> 12) & 4095;

}

I understand this one, but I need it to explain another one.

Code:
int get_addr_in_pgd(u32int addr)
{
        return addr >> 22;
}

In the previous function, we removed twelve bits and took the next twelve. We have 8 left. Now we took 10 oldest bits, so 2 overlaps...

Post subject: Re: understanding paging
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:05 pm 

I don't know where your functions came from, but the first one is wrong. 4095 (0xFFF) should be 1023 (0x3FF).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:07 pm 

Hi,

What @iansjack said, plus
antoni wrote:
I read "paging" and "setting up long mode" articles from OSDev wiki
your code suggests you're calculating protected mode addresses, not long mode addresses. In long mode, you have:
Code:
v & 4095 = offset within page
(v >> 12) & 511 = first level index (PTE), each entry covers 4096 bytes
(v >> (9+12)) & 511 = second level index (PDE) each entry covers 2M
(v >> (9+9+12)) & 511 = third level index, each entry covers 1G
(v >> (9+9+9+12) & 511 = fourth level index, each entry covers 512G
(v >> (9+9+9+9+12) & 65535 = fifth level index, either full 0, or full 1 bits; covers all virtual address space
I'm sorry, I never really cared which level is called page directory and page table or what ever. Numbers were always more logical to me :-)

Cheers,
bzt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:06 am 

I have a problem with this function:

Code:
void flushcr3()
{

asm("movl %cr3, %eax \n\t movl %eax, %cr3");

}

It gives such an error:

Code:
paging.c: Assembler messages:
paging.c:56: Error: unsupported instruction `mov'
paging.c:57: Error: unsupported instruction `mov'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:25 am 

I would recommend putting it in an assembly language file. Inline ASM is very tricky.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:33 am 

Quote:
I would recommend putting it in an assembly language file. Inline ASM is very tricky.

Thanks, it worked for me.

Last edited by antoni on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:33 am 

In your OS, how do you check the virtual address of a given physical address? Do you go through the entire paging structure (which is slow), or do you have some other structure for this? Or is there an instruction that do this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:19 am 

Just as a matter of interest, why do you want to do this? Note that not all physical addresses will necessarily have corresponding virtual addresses. And it is a one-many relationship - many virtual addresses may map to the same physical page.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:46 am 

There are various structures in memory (multiboot info, ACPI, etc.) that I know the physical address of. I could simply map this same physical address to this same virtual address, but if I want a consistent address space without holes then I need to map virtual addresses to different physical addresses. But in such case I need to know their virtual addresses.

(My kernel only has one address space.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:23 am 

But the physical address won't have a corresponding virtual address until you have created the mapping. And that means you already know the virtual address as you chose it. You can then build this address into the code that accesses the resource; you really don't want to have to do some complicated lookup every time you need to access the resource.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:55 am 

OK.

But in ACPI tables there are physical addresses of other tables etc. So, of course, I know their virtual addresses in the moment of creating mapping, but where to store them?

Should I update table's content and fill it with virtual addresses? In such case this tables will be filled with both physical and virtual addresses (as I need and thus parse just a small part of this tables) which will be confusing and lead to errors.

I can also store this pointers in my own structures which is hard to implement.

And what do you do in your OS?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:58 am 

antoni wrote:
There are various structures in memory (multiboot info, ACPI, etc.) that I know the physical address of. I could simply map this same physical address to this same virtual address, but if I want a consistent address space without holes then I need to map virtual addresses to different physical addresses. But in such case I need to know their virtual addresses.

(My kernel only has one address space.)

The idea is you have a chain reverse references, rooted in the description of your physical page structure. When you add a virtual mapping to a physical page, a record of that reverse mapping is added to the chain of such references:

Code:
struct rmap {
   process_address_space asid;
   void * address;
   struct rmap * next;
};

struct p_page {
   /* Stuff describing this physical page */

/* Mappings of this physical page */
   struct rmap * rmaps;
};

void add_reverse_mapping(page_t pagenum, process_address_space asid, void * address)
{
   struct p_page * page = getpagestruct(pagenum);
   struct rmap * rmap = malloc(sizeof(*rmap));
   enter_critical_section(page);
   rmap->next = page->rmaps;
   rmap->asid = asid;
   rmap->address = address;
   page->rmaps = next;
   leave_critical_section(page);
}

void walk_reverse_mapping(page_t pagenum, void (*callback)(process_address_space asid, void * address))
{
   struct p_page * page = getpagestruct(pagenum);
   enter_critical_section(page);
   struct rmap * rmap = page->rmaps;
   while(rmap) {
      struct rmap * next = rmap->next;
      callback(rmap->asid, rmap->address);
      rmap = next;
   }
   leave_critical_section(page);
}

Then, when you want to do something to each mapping of a physical page, you call walk_reverse_mapping() with your page identifier and a callback, and that callback can do whatever you want, including removing the mapping:

Code:
void unmap_virtual_address(process_address_space asid, void * address);
void unmap_page(page_t pagenum)
{
   walk_reverse_mapping(pagenum, unmap_virtual_address);
}

iansjack wrote:
But the physical address won't have a corresponding virtual address until you have created the mapping. And that means you already know the virtual address as you chose it.

Exactly. You don't tend to need reverse mappings until you have to manage multiple mappings to pages. Until that time, if you have a one to one virtual to physical mapping, as you probably will do for structures such as ACPI data, then you just need the virtual address.

In which case you need either:

• A virtual memory address space allocator. This can be a simple bump pointer, dolling out segments of virtual address space on demand, or something more elaborate if you envisage free'ing and reusing regions of virtual address spaces. You allocate some virtual address space for your physical memory, and map it.
  • A direct map of virtual->physical memory. This is more practical when the physical address spaces easily fits within the virtual address space (used by early Linux, for example, up until the point that physical memory started to exceed ~896MB.) Given your physical memory address, you just index into your virtual memory mapping of physical memory to access the physical page using the direct virtual address mapping.

Last edited by thewrongchristian on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:02 am 

antoni wrote:
OK.

But in ACPI tables there are physical addresses of other tables etc. So, of course, I know their virtual addresses in the moment of creating mapping, but where to store them?

Should I update table's content and fill it with virtual addresses? In such case this tables will be filled with both physical and virtual addresses (as I need and thus parse just a small part of this tables) which will be confusing and lead to errors.

I can also store this pointers in my own structures which is hard to implement.
No need to store them.

antoni wrote:
And what do you do in your OS?
Let's assume ACPI tables is at physical address P, mapped at virtual address V. Every time you read a pointer from the tables, do
Code:
effective_ptr = acpi_ptr - P + V
and you'll be fine. No need to overwrite the ACPI tables (parts of it could be in read-only ROM area anyway) or to store the pointers because the offset displacement is going to be a constant.

Cheers,
bzt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:06 am 

From what BZT said, I presume that ACPI tables are not distributed throughout the memory, but are in one consistent, homogenous block? If so, how to find its size and where it starts?

I can find RSDP, RSDT, FADT and other tables, but to use offest to describe their location I would have to know where block they are in starts and how big is it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:43 am 

antoni wrote:
From what BZT said, I presume that ACPI tables are not distributed throughout the memory, but are in one consistent, homogenous block? If so, how to find its size and where it starts?

I can find RSDP, RSDT, FADT and other tables, but to use offest to describe their location I would have to know where block they are in starts and how big is it.
Should be one block only, but if there are more blocks, then just use V1, V2 etc. one for each block depending where you've mapped that block. Just iterate through the memory map, you should find the blocks with starting address and size. If not, then use the RSDP and map the tables as you parse them, you can find the size of each table in their headers. The point is, remove the base physical ACPI address, and add the virtual one where you've mapped (no need to map contiguously, you could map each table at a different page if you'd like).

Cheers,
bzt