OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Recursive pci scan hanging on some PC's?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:14 am 

So I made a recursive pci scanning function, and it's hanging on my computer, but not in qemu, bochs, etc. Additionally, is there anyway to debug pci hangs on real hardware?

Post subject: Re: Recursive pci scan hanging on some PC's?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:09 am 

Recursive PCI enumeration does not hang PCs.

Recursive PCI enumeration is the only correct strategy to enumerate busses. For configuration mechanisms such as ECAM, non-recursive enumeration does not even work.

managarm: Microkernel-based OS capable of running a Wayland desktop (Discord: https://discord.gg/7WB6Ur3). My OS-dev projects: [mlibc: Portable C library for managarm, qword, Linux, Sigma, ...] [LAI: AML interpreter] [xbstrap: Build system for OS distributions].

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:34 am 

might have make some mistake in the code then. will look at it even more

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:41 am 

Do you have a way to output text on the screen?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:02 pm 

Korona wrote:
Recursive PCI enumeration does not hang PCs.

Recursive PCI enumeration is the only correct strategy to enumerate busses. For configuration mechanisms such as ECAM, non-recursive enumeration does not even work.

How so? Unless I'm missing something, this method, which is what I use, is not recursive and works just fine:
Code:
        let mut maxsg: u16 = 0;
        (0..MAX_SG).for_each(|i| {
            if regions.physical_address(i as u16, 0, 0, 0).is_some() {
                maxsg += 1;
            }
        });
        for sg in 0u16..maxsg {
            for bus in 0..MAX_BUS {
                for device in 0..MAX_DEVICE {
                    for function in 0..MAX_FUNCTION {
// Probe
                    }
                }
            }
        }

I use a method to check to see if the region I'm accessing in PCIe is actually a region in PCIe space but other than that, this is the code I'm using. Are you saying that this way isn't the right way?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:18 pm 

I can't see your code but feel free to compare against mine for any differences:

https://github.com/AndrewAPrice/Percept ... c#L56-L119

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:45 pm 

Ethin wrote:
How so? Unless I'm missing something, this method, which is what I use, is not recursive and works just fine:

How do you handle/detect nested/secondary/subordinate buses? Recursion seems to be the natural way to go about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:14 pm 

kzinti wrote:
Ethin wrote:

How do you handle/detect nested/secondary/subordinate buses? Recursion seems to be the natural way to go about it.

I don't treat a bridge or bus any differently than any other device. If I can scan it (that is, if the vendor ID isn't 0xFFFF or 0x0000), I add it. For bridges and such, I have this extra bit of handlign code:
Code:
                                // Bridge or PCI card bus
                                secondary_bus: if (read_byte(addr as usize, HEADER_TYPE) & 0x7F)
                                    == 1
                                    || (read_byte(addr as usize, HEADER_TYPE) & 0x7F) == 2
                                {
                                    read_byte(addr as usize, SEC_BUS)
                                } else {
                                },

And then, for any device, I set command bits 0, 1, 2, 6, 8, and 10 and clear bits 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, and 15:11.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:07 am 

nevermind, it works now, might have mistyped something somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:43 am 

Ethin wrote:
I use a method to check to see if the region I'm accessing in PCIe is actually a region in PCIe space but other than that, this is the code I'm using. Are you saying that this way isn't the right way?

Okay, that works but that's kind of a hack -- using recursive enumeration you know a priori whether a bus number is valid or not.

Aside from that, there are situations where non-recursive enumeration truly does not work: for example, on most (all?) ARM devices, the firmware does not allocate bus numbers for you and you have to do it yourself once you see a bridge. The same is true even for x86 if you have a bridge on an expansion card.

managarm: Microkernel-based OS capable of running a Wayland desktop (Discord: https://discord.gg/7WB6Ur3). My OS-dev projects: [mlibc: Portable C library for managarm, qword, Linux, Sigma, ...] [LAI: AML interpreter] [xbstrap: Build system for OS distributions].

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:31 am 

Korona wrote:
Ethin wrote:

Okay, that works but that's kind of a hack -- using recursive enumeration you know a priori whether a bus number is valid or not.

Aside from that, there are situations where non-recursive enumeration truly does not work: for example, on most (all?) ARM devices, the firmware does not allocate bus numbers for you and you have to do it yourself once you see a bridge. The same is true even for x86 if you have a bridge on an expansion card.

Hmm... That definitely seems like a problem. I might switch my code to using the recursive initialization sequence then.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:02 pm 

Ethin wrote:
That method is not recursive, but it will scan a lot of busses that are not actually present. And a lot of functions that are not present. I mean, the code will work, it's just doing a lot of useless nonsense.
Korona wrote:
I would handle that by putting a separate PCI bridge initialization step before the actual enumeration. Besides, if I have to initialize PCI bridges, I will likely also have to initialize PCI BARs, and that is where it gets complicated without knowledge of the system.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:10 am 

nullplan wrote:
I would handle that by putting a separate PCI bridge initialization step before the actual enumeration. Besides, if I have to initialize PCI bridges, I will likely also have to initialize PCI BARs, and that is where it gets complicated without knowledge of the system.

To see all bridges, you have to see all devices anyway, so you can integrate these two kinds of iterations into a single recursive scan.

You are correct about the BARs. It is a bit annoying but not too complicated: you get the memory range that the PCI root complex can address from the DTB, you recursively enumerate all BARs behind each bridge, and you allocate enough space for the devices behind each bridge, set up the bridge's MMIO range registers, and finally set up the BARs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:01 pm 

Now it sometime hangs, but sometime works. This doesn't happen on emulators so debugging is very hard. Is there anything like a pci card or smth that shows the register states on real hardware?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:09 am 

Have you taken any steps to debug the issue? Even something as simple as "print EIP when I press a button"? You should be able to see what is going on that way.