OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: GRUB 2: no multiboot header found
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:49 pm 

I'm too lazy to write this again, so here is the link to the (now locked) stack overflow post: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/643 ... -duplicate

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been working on this bug for 2 weeks now.

I'm using: meson, clang-10, GNU assembly

I make stupid mistakes and my vision is terrible. Not a good combination.

NOTE: Never respond to my posts with "it's too hard".

Post subject: Re: GRUB 2: no multiboot header found
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:43 am 

Undoubtedly, no one is going to help you with your problem. You may ask why, but the answer is in your very own question: too lazy. If you're saying that you're lazy to write a complete question with extra details as to why you're stuck, people will also be lazy to answer to your problem.

Looking at your discussion with Michael Petch on StackOverflow, you seem to totally ignore his answer and his recommendations - and that's a really bad way of reasoning - so don't get too surprised if people refer you to "dead ends" because we can't help you if you don't listen to what people say. If you don't have the basic, required knowledge about low level languages and tools used in this domain, you won't be able to do much either, so does the people that voluntarily try to help you. I strongly recommend you that you carefully read the "Beginner Mistakes" wiki article that basically explains what I said earlier.

I'm sorry if this post sounds rude, but if I didn't write this no one would (or someone else would have took the time to write an answer) so please reconsider developing an operating system for the moment.

Last edited by crosssans on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:07 am 

rizxt wrote:
I'm too lazy to write this again

Laziness is its only reward.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:47 am 

crosssans wrote:
Undoubtedly, no one is going to help you with your problem. You may ask why, but the answer is in your very own question: too lazy. If you're saying that you're lazy to write a complete question with extra details as to why you're stuck, people will also be lazy to answer to your problem.

Looking at your discussion with Michael Petch on StackOverflow, you seem to totally ignore his answer and his recommendations - and that's a really bad way of reasoning - so don't get too surprised if people refer you to "dead ends" because we can't help you if you don't listen to what people say. If you don't have the basic, required knowledge about low level languages and tools used in this domain, you won't be able to do much, so does the people that voluntarily try to help you. I strongly recommend you that you carefully read the "Beginner Mistakes" wiki article that basically explains what I said earlier.

I'm sorry if this post sounds rude, but if I didn't write this no one would (or someone else would have took the time to write an answer) so please reconsider developing an operating system for the moment.

I did not ignore his answer and/or recommendations. I seriously attempted every one of his suggestions. I referred you to the Stack Overflow question, not because I was lazy, in hindsight, I would reword that, I was tired, I needed to sleep, so I didn't have the time to rewrite the question. As well, I was worried all the content would be too much for a post on here (I don't believe you have scrollbars for large plaintext blocks).

I make stupid mistakes and my vision is terrible. Not a good combination.

NOTE: Never respond to my posts with "it's too hard".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:26 am 

rizxt wrote:
I did not ignore his answer and/or recommendations. I seriously attempted every one of his suggestions. I referred you to the Stack Overflow question, not because I was lazy, in hindsight, I would reword that, I was tired, I needed to sleep, so I didn't have the time to rewrite the question. As well, I was worried all the content would be too much for a post on here (I don't believe you have scrollbars for large plaintext blocks).

But that's the whole problem: if you don't have the time nor the concentration to write your question, then don't do it! Find a moment where you don't have anything to do and write your question with any extra details that you can give - size doesn't mater as soon as it's useful resources for people that's going to answer your problem!

Another issue is that I couldn't build the project (I myself tried to build it but it seems that `clang` can't find the `i686-pc-elf` target..?) - I can't say that I didn't do this properly, as it should be as simple as doing `meson ../Novix && ninja` and eventually passing useful options such as the target to build.

If I can't build the project and that I don't have proper documentation given to build the project, then I won't be able to help you - and that applies to every single member of this forum!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:32 pm 

I actually pointed out the documentation in the README.md file doesn't match reality and that I get an error with Meson on Ubuntu following their instructions. The only component I didn't have was what their documentation calls "optional".

I was told I don't know what I am doing and I was doing something wrong, and that was when I gave up on this fellow. There are serious issues with their build and make process and their documentation provided doesn't help. But somehow we don't know what we are doing with their code. It works for them so all is good apparently.

Ultimately they solved the problem and in the end the things I told him originally about what was causing his Multiboot header to be shifted beyond the first 8KiB of the ELF file were in fact the issue. He finally built his code statically and added the `-Wl,--build-id=none` option. Admittedly beyond that the options he has provided could still cause some issues down the line.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:53 pm 

Oh well, if there's no more problems then good for them... I guess? :-k

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:44 pm 

Computers can do cut & paste with text nowadays. You don't have to retype the whole thing. It's actually less work than saying you don't want to retype it and link to an external web site.