OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Timer Driver clock resolution - how should I approach?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:07 pm 

Hello all, first time poster.

I'm starting a project to implement an OS on top of the seL4 microkernel. Right now, I need to put together the timer driver, and I'm swimming a bit blind with regards to time resolution.

The hardware that I'm writing this for (just the one platform) has 1, 10, 100 and 1000us resolution on 16-bit countdown timers and a global 64-bit counter.

For the time being, I'm assuming 1us timer resolution (because I have it), an indexed min-heap for a priority queue (O(log n) insertion, removal, and structure is easily de-cluttered). I was possibly thinking of another structure, but for now, that's how I'm doing it.

At the moment, this is the sort of thing I have:

Register timer:
  • get target with
    Code:
    read_timestamp + delay
  • push the timout onto the priority queue
  • if the timeout went to the front, set the timer with a
    Code:
    target - read_timestamp
    (the time to push makes it outdated)

for setting timer, a function is called with a us delay:
  • if it's within 1ms, run the handler anyway
  • if it's within 2^16us, set the us timer with that delay
  • if it's less than 2^16 + 20ms, set the ms timer so that it fires an interrupt at about 30-40ms to go so the us timer can finish it off
  • if iit's more than 2^16 + 20ms, I just do a full 1ms timer tick (1m 5s)

for handling an interrupt:
  • I enter a loop - while interrupt queue is not empty, and the head has more than a ms to go, I run the registered handler.
  • this loop does a time-stamp read each time in the loop
  • I then look at the difference between timestamp and target, and call the set-timer function

My problem, is that I've given myself 1ms grace-period. If I take any longer than that, it will under-flow. i realise that I could reason that if it underflows, it would be UINT_MAX - <small number>, but I'm not so sure that's the ideal way to deal with it.

I've had a very quick and naive look at RIOT OS, and it looks like they reason about what the overhead should be, and give an estimate as to the us ticks that have happened, and factor that into the code. That's too complicated for what I'm thinking at the moment.

Or should I just do away with 1us timer resolution, work with the 10us timers, and settle for 1ms accuracy?

Post subject: Re: Timer Driver clock resolution - how should I approach?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:22 pm 

What I don't get is why you run the callback immediately when the timeout is less than 1ms away. You have your µs counter, why not use it? Here is how I would do it: Priority queue indexed on deadline (monotonic µs counter). A function can register a callback for a time in the future. Any time the pqueue is updated, the timeout counter is also updated. Simplest design would be to only use the 16 bit µs counter. So if the earliest deadline is within 65535µs, set the counter to that difference value and do something else until the interrupt hits (I am not a fan of busy-wait loops). Else, you can just set the counter to its maximum value. Nothing timed to do for 65ms is pretty rare. I would only make it more complicated if power consumption was an issue.

The only place where time passes is the counter update routine. You need to keep the last value written to the counter around. Whenever you update the counter you can then move the internal time forward by how far the counter has moved already. That ensures that time moves forward accurately even if a user keeps pushing their timeout forward.

Post subject: Re: Timer Driver clock resolution - how should I approach?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:12 am 

Quote:
What I don't get is why you run the callback immediately when the timeout is less than 1ms away.

My concern lies with race conditions. I don't have any performance metrics to understand what I should expect, what I can guarantee, etc. Also, given the fact that Linux runs with a 1ms resolution, I thought I'd go by that to start with, and refine it as I go. I had a look at RIOT OS system, and it looks like that implementation is similar to what I'm going for, except they make some assumptions about latency between the moment of interrupt, and comparing the global counter with the target (I hope I'm making sense here)

Quote:
Priority queue indexed on deadline (monotonic µs counter). A function can register a callback for a time in the future. Any time the pqueue is updated, the timeout counter is also updated.

That's what I'm doing, except I only update when the head of the queue changes

Quote:
Else, you can just set the counter to its maximum value. Nothing timed to do for 65ms is pretty rare. I would only make it more complicated if power consumption was an issue.

The basis of the system requires it to be tickless. not having the ability stretch out interrupts violates that in my mind. It's also close enough to trivial to switch the interupts to 2^16ms rather than 2^16us for it to be worth implementing.