OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PCIe Link Speed Retraining
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:41 am 

Hi,

After a long break from OS related tinkering I thought I'd give it another go, this time using UEFI which has actually been pretty pleasant.
I'm doing some work on PCIe specifically, (for a specific device) .. so from the configuration space offset 0x34 I've followed the pointers to find the PCIe extended configuration structure (id = 0x10).
From here I've used offset 0x04 to determine maximum payload (which I set through offset 0x08). In my case it's 256bytes.
The link capabilities register gives a max link width of 0x16 and a max link speed of 3 (from register offset 0x0c).
The link status register (0x12) is showing me negotiated link width of x16 (so nothing to do there) but a current link speed of 1.

Using register 0x30 (Link Control 2 Register) I set bits 0:3 to link speed 3.

Using register 0x10 (Link Control Register) I set bit 5 to trigger a link re-train.

The I wait a small duration (1second just for debugging)

In a polling loop I test bit 11 of the Link status Register (Link Training) until it's clear.

Read the info back from link status register (0x12) and it's still showing me a link speed of 1.

Do I need to configure the de-emphasis values as well ? Perhaps someone can shed some light on the correct process to correctly set and retrain the PCIe device link to a higher speed.

Thanks!
John