OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: The Terrific Tell and Talk Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:52 pm 

Solar, kewl. I definitely consider your C library as CRT for my project when it will be something more than just babbling, untested pieces of mess, unimplemented ideas and jerky loader. :mrgreen: The words "compliance" and "minimalism" are so pleasant to the ears.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:57 am 

Time for another update on managarm: a few weeks ago, I implemented write support for ext2fs. With all the page cache and writeback infrastructure in place (which I wrote about in my previous post), this was surprisingly simple. Basically, to create new files, the driver just needs to map block allocation bitmaps, inode tables and directory structures into virtual memory. After that is done, it modifies them in place and triggers a writeback. Modifying file data is even more simple: here, the driver just maps the file and does a memcpy() to modify the mapped pages. Again, a writeback is triggered subsequently. What I find particularly appealing is that no direct writeSectors() call is required in any of the write operations -- those are done transparently by the page cache.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:04 am 

Solar wrote:
[*] Integration of dlmalloc; PDCLib now has decent memory management.

Thanks for the link, I've filed it. I may not be working with C, but I will need decent memory management. This article contains some useful guidance.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:11 am 

eekee wrote:
I may not be working with C, but I will need decent memory management. This article contains some useful guidance.

From an OS designer's perspective, it's an easy trap to fall in: Lumping everything together under the label "memory management".

I found that it's "better" to, in your mind, realize that it's two separate things, really.

On the one hand you have the kernel doing the MMU / paging / address space setup thing. It also needs to provide some way(s) to pass out memory to user space. This is not malloc() / free(), though. It's more in the terms of brk() / sbrk() / mmap() / whatever_your_idea_is(), i.e. the system calls that a malloc() implementation like dlmalloc, or ptmalloc, or Your_Languages_Interpreter interfaces with.

On the other hand you have the user-space support library. malloc() / calloc() / realloc() / free() / etc. for standard C; this gets memory from the kernel in bulk (brk() / sbrk() / mmap() / ...) and does the smart parceling out / reclaiming.

There might be some need for a kernel function that passes out sub-page sized memory bits to the kernel proper, like kmalloc(). (Which might or might not use similar logic to user-space malloc().) But for architecture, I feel it's important to keep the system calls (brk() / sbrk() / mmap() / ...) and the user lib calls (malloc() / ... / free()) separate in your head.

Just sayin'. It took me some confused hours back in the day to figure that one out on my own. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 am 

Thanks! :D I was headed for confusion, I think. I'm aware they're normally separate, but with so many architectural decisions still up in the air, I risk conflating different systems all the time.