OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: “You asked too much”
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:29 pm 

I know this is probably asking too much but I’ve tried this before many times to no avail. It almost seems like you need to know how to make an OS to know where to find information to make one in the first place.
Anyways if possible, does anyone have code(in assembly preferably) they could share that would set a vesa mode of a custom width and height and plot a white pixel in the bottom right corner?
I feel like something basic like this would be just what I need to get started on a project I’ve had in mind for a long time.
Anyone who helps gets their username credited in the final code if they are ok with it.

“If you're going to tell me to give up then you're wasting time that you could be using to help someone else”

“Assembly is more readable and easy to use than c. Change my mind”

Post subject: Re: “You asked too much”
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:46 pm 

CheeseBees wrote:
I know this is probably asking too much but I’ve tried this before many times to no avail. It almost seems like you need to know how to make an OS to know where to find information to make one in the first place.

Hello,

You're somewhat correct, but I'd like to try to explain why to help you understand. Developing operating systems requires finding and absorbing many *metric* truckloads of information. It requires a high degree of self-initiative, and in particular skills in searching for information and self-teaching.

CheeseBees wrote:
Anyways if possible, does anyone have code(in assembly preferably) they could share that would set a vesa mode of a custom width and height and plot a white pixel in the bottom right corner?
I feel like something basic like this would be just what I need to get started on a project I’ve had in mind for a long time.

For instance this query here is a good example. Even if you don't think you know what to look for, you should try searching the interwebs using the same words you'd ask in this forum. You want to know something about vesa and osdev, well why not search for "osdev vesa". Most of the first results link directly to the wiki/forums here, and you'll see Drawing in Protected Mode and VESA Video Modes in the results.

Read through the links and don't understand something? Go through the new links in each page, or narrow your search down with an extra keyword based on new information you gained. Same deal when you inevitably find something not working. If you have absolutely no idea, try your best to find some terms to search for, and eventually you will be able to narrow it down to your problem.

I apologize if that sounded condescending, I'm trying to help you learn how to learn.

"...not because [it is] easy, but because [it is] hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of [my] energies and skills..."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:45 pm 

Hi,

CheeseBees wrote:
You can use my boot loader, BOOTBOOT which does exactly that. The custom width and height is passed in a text file with "screen=WxH". It's written in Assembly as you requested (or at least the VESA compliant BIOS/Multiboot/El Torito implementation is). There's a very minimal example kernel in C, which does plot white pixels (although not in the bottom right corner, but in a crosshair to see if the screen dimensions are detected correctly). It also has a very basic, 17 lines only font renderer to say hello (see attachment), which you may find useful.

CheeseBees wrote:
Anyone who helps gets their username credited in the final code if they are ok with it.
You can use my loader as-is, it is well documented and well tested. Or you can study the MIT licensed asm source and learn from it. But keep in mind, it wasn't written to be a tutorial, although there are comments here and there.

Cheers,
bzt

Attachments:
screenshot.png
screenshot.png [ 1.23 KiB | Viewed 1079 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:35 pm 

Thanks bzt

“If you're going to tell me to give up then you're wasting time that you could be using to help someone else”

“Assembly is more readable and easy to use than c. Change my mind”