OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Is there a recommended order to learn OS Development?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:51 am 

I was browsing through the osdev site and it seems like the order to learn things is a little out of wack. I was reading from top to bottom on the home page under the introduction section. When I got to the tutorial link, it showed things in a different order. Is there a recommended order to learn os development? Or is it pick and choose?

Post subject: Re: Is there a recommended order to learn OS Development?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:44 pm 

No, there isn't.

However, there are a number of things we do recommend you read through first - by which I mean, read all of the recommended pages before you even decide whether or not to commit to an OS dev project - and the page What order should I make things in discusses several directions one can take, at least once you have the most basic matters in hand.

I will first recommend having several of the tools needed in place before even looking into starting, most particularly the OS Specific Toolchain and (if applicable, which it usually is) the cross compiler you mean to use. We also strongly recommend that you have a Version Control System such as git or Subversion or Mercurial set up, and a project repository on a repo hosting service such as Github, Sourceforge, CloudForge, GitLab, or BitBucket, and learn how to use both before even considering an OS project.

Seriously. I recommend that you don't even read about OS dev techniques until you have those two parts ready to go, and know how to use them. And don't even consider going without an off-site repo for any non-trivial project - doing so is akin to skydiving without a parachute.

Once you have that, I would strongly recommend reading the introductory material in the wiki:

Getting Started
How To Ask Questions
FAQ (you need read everything listed there, but you would do well to look at the category itself to see the range of common questions)

Required Knowledge
Beginner Mistakes
What order should I make things in
Code Management

How kernel, compiler, and C library work together
Using Programming Languages other than C

Why do I need a Cross Compiler?
GCC Cross-Compiler (if you are planning to use GCC)
OS Specific Toolchain (again, only if you are using GCC and binutils)

To this, I would add that if you are focusing on an x86 system, you should read through these as well (again, at minimum, skim all the way through them at least once, ahead of time):

Real Mode, especially the section on memory addressing, and Segmentation
Memory Map, Detecting Memory and A20 Line
BIOS, and Boot Sequence
Interrupts
Bootloader and Rolling Your Own Bootloader
FAT and SFS

While this is a lot of reading, it simply reflects the due diligence that any OS-devver needs to go through in order to get anywhere. OS development, even as a simple project, is not amenable to the Stack Overflow cut-and-paste model of software development; you really need to understand a fair amount of the concepts and principles before writing any code, and the examples given in tutorials and forum posts generally are exactly that. Copying an existing code snippet without at least a basic idea of what it is doing simply won't do. While learning itself is an iterative process - you learn one thing, try it out, see what worked and what didn't, read some more, etc. - in this case a basic foundation is needed at the start. Without a solid understanding of at least some of the core ideas before starting, you simply can't get very far in OS dev.