OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: exFAT
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:48 am 

Hi Everyone. I've been reading some document about the exFAT filesystem lately, and I have been surprised to see how much it diverges from the original FAT design while still being claimed FAT. Like, the FAT is no longer used to know which clusters are free (this is the job of the Allocation Bitmap, instead) and files might no longer use the FAT at all (when they aren't fragmented).

Anyone of you has already dug into that ?

Post subject: Re: exFAT
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 am 

Hi (and welcome back!),

Pype.Clicker wrote:
Hi Everyone. I've been reading some document about the exFAT filesystem lately, and I have been surprised to see how much it diverges from the original FAT design while still being claimed FAT. Like, the FAT is no longer used to know which clusters are free (this is the job of the Allocation Bitmap, instead) and files might no longer use the FAT at all (when they aren't fragmented).

Anyone of you has already dug into that ?

A while ago I took an extremely brief glance, noticed that it's a hornet's nest of patent licencing and associated fees, then never dared look at anything slightly related to exFAT since. ;)

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.