OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: crt*.o Problem - Ctors not being called
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:30 am 

I have been working on the C++ runtime in my kernel, and trying to call the global object constructors. I have built the i386-elf GCC cross-compiler for C,C++ so that I could use its crtbegin.o and crtend.o objects. Note that I am testing the crt*.o features only one module in the kernel - HAL (hardware abstraction layer). The compiler refused to link with my old linker.ld scripts - first section in dynamic segment not .dynamic sort of error was given. So I just gave up the linker script because I thought the modules didn't need them (except the KernelHost, which is the executable file which starts up the system and is a PIE).

I linked the object in the correct sequence,

Code:
crti.o, crtbegin.o, All Kernel Objects, -lgcc, crtend.o, crtend.o

But the _init() function in HAL/Build/kernel.silcos.hal didn't call the constructors somehow. Even when the KernelHost's module-loader code called the DT_INIT tag, the constructors weren't being called. To look into the matter I disassembled the whole module - (I have shown only the _init part, the TerminalOuput.txt in root folder has all of it)

Code:
0000438c <_init>:
    438c:   55                      push   ebp
    438d:   89 e5                   mov    ebp,esp
    438f:   e8 90 0d 00 00          call   5124 <hello+0xf4>
    4394:   e8 93 56 00 00          call   9a2c <SetupTSS+0x80>
    4399:   5d                      pop    ebp
    439a:   c3                      ret   

You can see the hello() relocation here because I wrote it as a constructor - __attribute__((constructor)) (in HAL/Source/Processor.cpp) but it doesn't print "hello" (whatever is there). Calling _init() doesn't do the work. What is the hecking problem?

Few other notes:

1. I had to implement the functions below because of "undefined symbols" (weak symbols). Note that my ELF dynamic-linker (in the KernelHost module, which is actually a PIE) links the other modules. But my HAL module had undefined references to these functions.

Code:
///
/// After looking around on the internet, I found them in the C library code. Just copied them from there
/// cause the comments said they were for initialization and really didn't need to do anything.
///

extern "C" void __register_frame_info(void*,struct object*){}
extern "C" void __register_frame_info_bases(void *a1, struct object *a2, void *a3, void *a4);
extern "C" void* __deregister_frame_info(void*){ return (null); }

_ITM_deregisterTMCCloneTable & _ITM_register_TMCCloneTable were also undefined. But I just linked the referenced with my LinkerUndefined() function by which I could trap calls to them. But only the __register_frame_info() function was being called.

These are for C++ exception support, right. I use --fno-exceptions; why did these symbols arise?

2. My kernel source - https://github.com/SukantPal/Silcos-Kernel

Goto KernelHost/Source/ModuleLoader for the module-loader. You'll find the ElfLinker.cpp file which has these "undefined" functions implemented.

Post subject: Re: crt*.o Problem - Ctors not being called
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:43 pm 

IANAE on the topic, but I took a look at the .hal binary.

The binary contains a section ".init_array"
Code:
11 .init_array   00000008  0000b000  0000b000  0000b000  2**2
                  CONTENTS, ALLOC, LOAD, DATA

The constructor "hello" is found here (after relocations have been applied).
Code:
Relocation section '.rel.dyn' at offset 0x34ac contains 416 entries:
Offset     Info    Type            Sym.Value  Sym. Name
0000b004  00004001 R_386_32          00005030   hello

glibc, within its function __libc_csu_init, calls _init() and then calls each fn-pointer stored inside the .init_array section. Maybe your ArchMain needs to parse the .init_array?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:26 pm 

I have barely glanced through your post. But have you seen: https://wiki.osdev.org/C%2B%2B

- Amy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:42 am 

Hi linuxyne,

You solved it, thanks. And yah, Amy, see my Module/Elf/ABI/Implementor.h - it has all those goodies in the C++ page.

Shukant Pal