OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Memory detection
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 am 

Hi, im want to get memory count in bytes on C, protected mode. OSDev's examples isnt works.

Post subject: Re: Memory detection
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:50 am 

Hi,

I was tempted to delete the topic but let's give you a chance.

Environment? UEFI / BIOS calls / Multiboot (legacy)?

What does not working mean? Crash / reboot / incorrect value returned?

We need far more detail than you have provided in the OP.

Cheers,
Adam

[Edit: I've just looked at your previous posts. Aside from the vague questions, it appears you already have v8086 working. How is that the case if you haven't even detected the amount of system memory?]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:34 pm 

Im booting with bootloader from FAT32 FS. loading file, jumping, entering PM, copies a kernel, jump into kernel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:07 pm 

The first thing I should say is that you need to be warned that the Detecting Memory (x86) page, like far too many in the wiki, is not entirely up to date. For this, we have to apologize. We try to keep things up to date, but we can only do so much on a volunteer basis.

However, we can't say how relevant this is without more information about the system, what you have tried to do, and how you did it. Could you please tell us:

• Whether the test host uses a PC Legacy BIOS, an UEFI BIOS in Legacy mode, or an UEFI BIOS in the full UEFI mode (note that I am using 'BIOS' in the general sense here; most references to BIOS in PCs refer to the PC Legacy BIOS based on the original IBM PC, with UEFI being quite a different beast and not usually referred to as 'BIOS' as it usually isn't used as one after boot-up);
  • whether you are running this live, or on an emulator (such as Bochs or QEMU) or virtualizer (such as QEMU/KVM, VirtualBox, or Hyper-V);
  • how you are booting the system, specifically whether you are using the UEFI boot loader (if available), a stock boot loader such as GRUB or Boot Magic, or one you wrote yourself; and,
  • just which method given in the wiki (or gotten anywhere else) you tried to use.

We really can't give definite answers without know this much, at minimum. It would help if you could also tell us:

• The PC model you are using for your testing host (if it is a pre-built model from a manufacturer such as Dell or HP) or motherboard model (if it is a component build);
  • the brand and model of the CPU, if you know them (e.g., Intel Core 2 Duo, Pentium, Celeron, or i3/i5/i7/i9; AMD Opteron, Ryzen, etc.; or for non-PC systems, ARM A8 Cortex-M, MIPS64 rev 6, etc.) - for a standard PC, it will be in the docs, while presumably if you built the system yourself or ordered it custom you would already know;
  • the chipset, if you know it (it should be possible to look that up from the PC or motherboard documentation);
  • if you are emulating or virtualizing, then whether the emulated/virtualized system differs from the test host system;
  • what your are using for your development host OS; and,
  • what toolchain you are using, including version numbers, and if you are using a cross-compiler and cross toolchain (as opposed to one configured for the host OS).

MrLolthe1st wrote:
Im booting with bootloader from FAT32 FS. loading file, jumping, entering PM, copies a kernel, jump into kernel.

From this, it seems you are rolling your own boot loader, then, and that it is a BIOS system rather than UEFI (or if it is UEFI, that you are using it in Legacy mode).

If this is the case, then the most sensible solution is to interrogate the BIOS in your second stage loader before going into protected mode, and passing the information as a header to the OS. This means using either assembler, or a real-mode C compiler such as BCC for that part of the code, but this is true of the second stage loader in general prior to the switch to protected mode.

Note that the roll-your-own approaches given on the wiki page all assume that this is what you are actually doing; there is no reliable way to get the system memory in protected mode once the system loader hands control off to your boot loader. This is because getting an accurate memory map depends on chipset-specific operations, indeed even motherboard-specific ones depending on how the memory bus controller and PCI bridges were designed. In most cases, you can't get the information you would need to get the memory map without probing (which you really need to avoid if at all possible), because it is proprietary to the motherboard manufacturer. Even if you could get it, it wouldn't apply to any other model of motherboards - maybe not even ones in the same product line by the same manufacturer.

For a BIOS-based system (or one running in Legacy mode), you would need to try calling multiple BIOS functions to get the full map; as the wiki page explains, the only 'standard' (in the sense of, 'it existed since the original PC') BIOS call for memory detection only handles the real-mode low memory map, and the ones which can determine the rest of the memory aren't standardized.

UEFI does have a standard memory detecting function, which any UEFI motherboard is supposed to implement; for current ones from trustworthy manufacturers, it is reasonably reliable, if a bit of a pain to work with, but some older or cheaper UEFI mobos might be a bit sketchy on this - they might only work with the Windows boot loader. This isn't all that common, but it does happen AFAICT, and I am afraid that if that's the case for your mobo, well... you'd be SOL for running live. It should still be possible to emulate a system, but you'd need to emu the BIOS as well, which makes for a slower emulation.

I wish it were better than this, but unfortunately, this is where things stand for all of us, at least on PCs (other kinds of systems, such as Raspberry Pis, have different quirks, but none of them are all the easy).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 pm 

Hi,

AJ wrote:
MrLolthe1st wrote:
Hi, im want to get memory count in bytes on C, protected mode. OSDev's examples isnt works.

I was tempted to delete the topic but let's give you a chance.

Environment? UEFI / BIOS calls / Multiboot (legacy)?

What does not working mean? Crash / reboot / incorrect value returned?

We need far more detail than you have provided in the OP.

I'd also want to know what the expected information is. There's a huge difference between "amount of RAM actually installed in the computer" (which includes things like RAM used by firmware and integrated video, and can mostly only be obtained from SMBIOS tables) and "amount of RAM that the OS is able to use" (that excludes RAM that the OS can't use, and can mostly only be obtained from firmware's "get physical memory map" function).

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:03 am 

MrLolthe1st wrote:

Still not enough information. What bootloader (your own?). You still have not reported what "doesn't work" means.

Schol-R-Lea has kindly given you a huge amount of information but we still need more from you.

Cheers,
Adam