OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Handling a PIT timer IRQ when level triggered
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:02 am 

Edge triggering makes sense for PIT timers but what happens when a PC's PIT timer fires an IRQ (IRQ 0) on a machine which has exclusively level-triggered interrupt recognition?

Specifically:

On an IBM PS/2 (MCA) all hardware interrupts are supposed to be level triggered. Aside from the PIT, probably every other interrupt source will keep its IR line asserted until software does something to the hardware which clears the cause and it will then deassert it. But the PIT is possibly unique in that there is no way to tell it to deassert its output (that I know of). Hence this query as to how the PIT and PIC interact on an MCA machine and what, if anything, would need to be done in software when handling the interrupt if the OS code might be run on an MCA machine.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Handling a PIT timer IRQ when level triggered
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:40 am 

JamesHarris wrote:
Edge triggering makes sense for PIT timers but what happens when a PC's PIT timer fires an IRQ (IRQ 0) on a machine which has exclusively level-triggered interrupt recognition?

I've found an answer to this in the book The IBM PS/2 From the Inside Out. It turns out that when IBM went from ISA to MCA they added an extra latch. Crucially, a PIT ISR would need to reset the latch so a timer ISR on an MCA machine needs extra code.

For PS/2 designs IBM added an "IRQ-0 latch" between the PIT and the PIC. When the timer output is asserted (presumably by an edge, as before) the latch is triggered. Its output is then asserted and remains asserted, i.e. it provides the level assertion that the PIC needs.

It is up to the interrupt service routine to reset the latch. It does that by setting bit 7 of port 0x61 (system control port B). It look as though resetting the latch is necessary or the interrupt signal will not be removed from the PIC.

Incidentally, the book says that the latch is reset by setting SCPB bit 7 to one but I suspect from other references I've found that that bit would also need to be reset to zero so that the latch receives a reset pulse.