OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How to load Dynamic Link Libraries
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:31 am 

A program most of times loads some DLLs to run at runtime. Where to load the DLL? The DLL contains absolute memory access so we run into a problem! I thought that I can load the DLL as second program and use the kernel for communication (and maybe the page(s) that DLL use for storing data to be mapped at the programs VAS). I believe there exist another way, isn't it?

Windows user: Ah not again!

Post subject: Re: How to load Dynamic Link Libraries
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:00 am 

I reserve a memory area to load dynamic libraries and then maintain a table of which library is loaded where.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:29 pm 

ARISTOS wrote:
A program most of times loads some DLLs to run at runtime. Where to load the DLL? The DLL contains absolute memory access so we run into a problem! I thought that I can load the DLL as second program and use the kernel for communication (and maybe the page(s) that DLL use for storing data to be mapped at the programs VAS). I believe there exist another way, isn't it?

You mention DLLs. This is PE formatted executables. Even though they contain "absolute addresses", approach taken by PE avoids "problems" of colliding images. It's called Base Relocation. DLL image has (Preferred) Image Base, at the load time loader sees where to load the library for the process, if the Preferred Image Base the DLL is linked at is available, in the process' AS, it maps the DLL there, by per section basis. Sections are aligned at page size, so mapping is done by per page. If the Base is not available, it relocates the image, applying fixups for every address reference inside your code and data and for Image Base field. .reloc section holds relocation information. And again, - maps the image into process' address space.
There are system supplied DLLs, that you can avoid relocations for, just placing them in "reserved areas" of AS. But also it could be possible to do this for every DLL, it would require from you some architecting, you need to invent some facility aiding in achieveing this. Some service collecting info about what DLL a program loads, maybe some info at the package installation time, some kind of dependency expression, some system database holding this information etc. Anyway, any program package uses a set of DLLs, there is ways to hint the system about this set and try to avoid the need of relocations by accounting these DLLs and allocating AS region for them. Especially this could be easy for wide architectures, thus 64 bit ones.

There is also a position independent code, PIC, approach. I know little about it, it's common for ELF shared objects. There, shared objects could be loaded (mapped) at any region of AS, but some other restrictions apply like invariance of distance between ELF segments. Global Offset Table, GOT and Procedure Linkage Table, PLT in the architecture specific "supplements" for the ELF are your friends there.

If you are asking about how to know what to load, then, PE uses Import Tables. Import Directory Table, Import Lookup Table and Import Address Table. They tell what functions from what libraries are needed. IDT contains entries for every DLL the image imports from, the name of DLL and pointers to ILT and IAT. ILT serves as a source of the information about what functions are imported, IAT is filled by the loader at load time with addresses of the funtions. Basically IAT entries are function pointer variables, the code inside the image references. It's a very easy binding mechanism. Loader finds functions either by the name (slower), or by a number, ordinal, much faster. DLLs have export tables the loader inspects, that complement all this elegant binding mechanism.

For the "delayed loading" or the loading at runtime, other than at the start, it should be the same, allocating the space, checking for the relocation need, applying relocations if needed, mapping. The program shouldn't bother with this at all. The OS does the same as with start up DLLs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:40 pm 

I am working in implementing a pure NASM-generated 32-bit DLL without using linkers, only NASM. It will allow you to see how to create the export table, export a function and call it from another program, as well as the full executable or DLL format (the same format with an export table) and specifying the base address for linking to a proper place:

viewtopic.php?t=32538
viewtopic.php?t=32538

YouTube:
http://youtube.com/@AltComp126/streams
http://youtube.com/@proyectos/streams

http://master.dl.sourceforge.net/projec ... 7z?viasf=1