LPC and Super I/O details

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
johnsa

LPC and Super I/O details

Post by johnsa »

Hey all,

Was curious if anyone had investigated the LPC and Super I/O chip details for various chipsets?

I found some data-sheets for SMSC as well as an interesting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0jQWq39hkU

I'm using intel chipsets (HM77, series 9 wildcat point etc..) and based on those spec docs I've not been able to find any reference to which super i/o chip is in use or what registers it might expose for reading/writing fan control, duty cycle etc.

In theory I thought I might be able to look through the AML/ACPI from my BIOS to see if it shed some light, but it wasn't very helpful.
From the docs it would appear IO ports 2e/2f and 4e/4f are still in play but without sub-function/devices and registers I'm not too sure what to be writing where.

I'm working on the assumption that I want to be able to control fans for a fixed chipset, IE: HM77 (odds are most other intel chipsets will use the same or similar configuration and register setups).