OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Very Basic OS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:07 pm 

Hello there!

I'm not very experienced at coding, especially writing an Operating System, but I do know C++ to some extent.

I just wanted to make an Operating System that I could use for myself and give to my friends

All it would do is be able to boot up and display the name of the Operating System.

So let's say the name of the OS was "AWESOME".

I start my computer, and AWESOME boots. On my screen I see the word "AWESOME" and that is all. You cannot do anything, just view the title of the OS.

I just really want to do this, and once it is done, I will expand to more than just a title :P

It doesn't have to be really fancy, just bootable.

So I guess my question is: Is there any advice on doing this? Is there a really easy, most basic way to do this? All it is basically is displaying a name (besides the fact that it's being an operating system).

Thank you A LOT for your help in advance!

:D RoboMacShow :D

Post subject: Re: Very Basic OS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:16 pm 

Yeah..."I want to make it for my use and for my friends": The problem is, that an OS that is usable for daily things will takes hella time to write.

And, if you have little experience, then you aren't ready. You need to program more in C (or whatever language you plan to use), and research it a LOT. Read the wiki (http://wiki.osdev.org/Main_Page), specifically the Getting Started bits.

Printing the word "Awesome" on the screen is the easy part. After that, you need to have t manage memory, manage tasks, control the screen, control devices, have drivers, have an API, and run an init program. And this isn't even half of it.

OSdev is not easy, and not for the faint of heart. Please, research more, and become more experienced in coding. It will make things much easier.

--that being said, I wish you luck in your goals, and I hope that you do attempt an OS, and hopefully, get it to do something cool. Have Fun.

-JL

Post subject: Re: Very Basic OS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:56 am 

There are lots of tutorials around, there's also the wiki... it shouldn't be too hard to do a search.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]