A question about shell like bash

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.

Moderators: JAAman, klange, Octocontrabass, sortie, kmcguire, chase, thepowersgang, Owen, Combuster, AJ, 01000101, carbonBased, Candy, pcmattman

label_3162073

A question about shell like bash

Post by label_3162073 »

How to move the shell like bash in my own OS? Is it requires special system call or have another request? please help me ,thank you !!!
AndrewAPrice

Post by AndrewAPrice »

Bash? You do know how complex Bash is? Most shells require the C standard library, so you'll have to port newlib to your OS. And before you get your hopes up about that, have you implemented a file system driver, a program loader, paging?
My OS is Perception.
label_3162073

Post by label_3162073 »

If the Bash is very complex like you said,Why does the linux 0.11 can run the bash. I don't think the linux 0.11 is very complex
AndrewAPrice

Re: ..

Post by AndrewAPrice »

label_3162073 wrote:If the Bash is very complex like you said,Why does the linux 0.11 can run the bash. I don't think the linux 0.11 is very complex

I asked if you have the following:
- A file system driver - so you can load bash from disk.
- A program loader - which will convert what's on disk into a valid program image in memory.
- A paging and multitasking system - not required, but I'm guessing you want bash to execute programs?
- A port of C standard library to your OS - so bash will compile and and run on your system.

I agree Linux 0.11 isn't very complex, but it still includes all the above features.
My OS is Perception.