OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Possible Future?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:00 pm 
I have a idea that would proably work I think everyone who wants to make a OS should all join in one BIG OS project instead of everyone trying to make their own seperate OS I am currently devolping a website in hope that at least some people will agree with me. The OS could be Freeware and if it catches on maybe commercial? Well Reply or Email me ([email protected]) take this Idea into consideration we will get a lot farther if we all make one Large OS. I think that everyone will get a lot farther with their OS if we all join to make ONE OS Well Ok.

Derek
[email protected]

Post subject: RE:Possible Future?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:00 pm 
This has been discussed to death, dude.

Unfortunately, there are too many differing opinions when it comes to osDev, that we couldn't possibly get everyone here making a single OS (especially when they've already developed a whole ton of code on their own already).

I mean, just look at the micro vs monolithic kernel designs... there's almost always a 50/50 split of developers on that topic, and you can't have both.

I definitly agree, though, in having more than one person per OS project... one person can rarely develop an entire OS by themselves... unless they plan on spending the rest of their lives on it...

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:00 pm 
Well, if everyone has a different opinion, why not just set up a site (I may help to make it..) that will allow developers to work on kernels (yes several kernels, so that everyone is happy)... The idea will allow several flavors of kernels to be developed as a team, and you can have it all made and released.

I like this idea, and I think it will give a great oppertunity to those new to os development to get hands on training...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:00 pm 
If everyone likes this idea then why doesn't everyone like lamryan2002 said build seperate kernels and then when they are done we modify them enough useing each ones strong points into one kernel?? But us each makeing our own seperate OS wont get very far we can figure out something cant we? People who want to join Email me and tell me about your coding experince and Name and Age if you want not everyone will join right away but hopefully we can at least start a project and get people to join as we go.

Derek
[email protected]

(This project was inspired by Windows duh...)