OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 226, 227, 228, 229, 230
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:33 pm 

This is Mako. I've been working on it for the last ~6 months, and it I think it finally does enough to be a real "operating system"[1].

https://github.com/AjayMT/mako

Huge thanks to the OSDev community for all the help and resources, I never thought I would be able to do anything like this. My operating system is not complete or perfect (and likely never will be) but I'm proud of it nevertheless. I feel like I can build literally anything now that I've done this.

[1]: It reads and writes files and runs user programs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:48 pm 

@ajaymt: Always good to see alternative window management! It looks really nice, too. A small note of caution though: I've used a system which fades the text in non-current windows, like yours does. While it's great that it shows so clearly which is the current window, it becomes a bad thing when you're trying to read documentation or notes in one window while typing into another. Also, it's confusing when a window holds a program which doesn't fade.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:18 pm 

Mine is a 86-DOS clone, with a 32-bit kernel 'overlay'.

The system starts in real-mode, with the files 'IO.SYS', and 'RMDOS.SYS', and the user can choose to boot into the 32-bit system (doskrnl.exe - microkernel), or remain in 16-bit RMDOS (execution monitor).

doskrnl.exe is loaded exactly past 1MB, while rmdos.sys and io.sys remain in conventional memory, along with the PC-BIOS. if the user is in the 32-bit system, if they run a .com file, the system goes back to real-mode, runs the .com file or 16-bit .exe file, and then goes back to the protected-mode system.

I don't have any pictures of it running, atm, but I have this screenshot of a sorta 'pseudo disk layout':

Attachments:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 21.61 KiB | Viewed 1476 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:21 am 

LAI's hardware support gets better and better. Here is @Matt8898 from GitHub who implemented a few missing opcodes and successful booted LAI on his "laptop".

(For those who don't know about it already, LAI is an AML interpreter: https://github.com/qword-os/lai)

Attachments:
DSC_0547.JPG
DSC_0547.JPG [ 117.09 KiB | Viewed 1168 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:34 am 

This is CactusOS, an OS I have been working on quite some time now. I know that it is definitely not the most pretty or functional OS, but I am happy with the progress I have made over the time. Currently working on basic USB support. Also boots on real hardware (At least with an old IDE controller in it).

Attachments:
File comment: CactusOS Desktop
Screenshot Desktop.jpg
Screenshot Desktop.jpg [ 116.45 KiB | Viewed 1052 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 226, 227, 228, 229, 230