OSDev.org
https://forum.osdev.org/

What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
https://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12087
Page 226 of 230

Author:  mariuszp [ Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

klange wrote:
mariuszp wrote:
Yes, I tried recording something knew but VirtualBox refused to let me. I'll try again later.

My suggestion is to use OBS to screen-cap VirtualBox or QEMU - that's how I do all my videos these days. I found VirtualBox's integrated video recording to have weird stutter issues.


What is OBS? Are you referring to "OBS studio"? Trying to find it, but can't.

Author:  klange [ Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

mariuszp wrote:
What is OBS? Are you referring to "OBS studio"? Trying to find it, but can't.

Yes. It’s typically just OBS in conversation, there’s nothing really special about Studio over the previous version. It’s the gold standard in desktop recording and streaming these days.

Author:  mariuszp [ Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Newer glidix stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTwdBfxsB4s

Author:  qookie [ Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

After taking a 5 month break I decided to pick quack back up. I have started moving it to a microkernel architecture, and so far I've got:
  • New and improved scheduling and task management code
  • A simple exec server that can start new programs from ELF files passed to it via an IPC message
  • A way for processes to handle device interrupts(process sleeps until the interrupt arrives, kernel wakes the process up)
  • A test program that handles PS/2 keyboard interrupts and simply prints characters to the screen
  • Other stuff too small to mention individually

Anyway, here's an image of what I have going on right now:
Image

In this picture the "hello world, this is quack" text was typed in via the PS/2 keyboard, and the one lone character at the bottom is the least significant byte of the global system tick counter, which processes can nicely ask the kernel to map into their address space as read-only. All I really need to do now is to actually focus on the userspace side of the OS, since the kernel has almost everything I need(apart from waiting for multiple kinds of events, like waiting for either an IPC message or an IRQ).

Author:  hextakatt [ Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Nothing impressive or of the other world, has no paging, multitasking, or executables files yet. (well, sincerely I have no idea how to do it, but well ... :( ) At least it's something more than a simple bootloader that just prints "Hello world". :)
Only haves an 80x25 screen resolution, text only. Who needs GUI? A simple shell is enough for everyone! You can have a fancy OS with beautiful GUI, but the kernel can be buggy, or not fully functional. (there are exceptions) Or you can have a ugly shell, but a fully functional kernel.
Image

Author:  CHOSTeam [ Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Now CHicago have it's own assembler + linker for the userspace, with a custom executable format.

Image

Author:  K3achas [ Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

All the non-efi stuff (except the loaders) are written for my OS. Now just to find the framebuffer, load the driver and kernel files, and set up virtual memory.

Attachments:
boot0.gif
boot0.gif [ 114.07 KiB | Viewed 1979 times ]

Author:  pvc [ Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

@K3achas Lol, nice messages :)

Author:  Crupette [ Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

First time posting to this forum
This is an image of my kernel loading a kernel object
Attachment:
File comment: Also added a /dev/zero!
modet-limitedmodules.png
modet-limitedmodules.png [ 18.86 KiB | Viewed 1807 times ]

Author:  mallard [ Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

I've not posted a screenshot for a little while since I've largely been working on "invisible" back-end stuff, like hardware autodetection, package management, etc. and haven't had much to show... I've recently returned to working on UI-related stuff, so here goes:

Image

This shows a few "prototype" GUI apps I built relatively quickly based on a port of SDL Widgets (whose stock test program is also visible). At the bottom of the screen, you can see my very early work-in-progress on my own GUI widget system.

EDIT: Here's a bonus screenshot of a much higher resolution display with (nearly; there is evidence of the missing one...) every GUI application that exists for BT/OS visible, along with a bit more work on my widgets:

Image
(Click for full size)

Author:  max [ Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

mallard, I'm very impressed, nice progress. keep going!

Author:  BenLunt [ Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Hi guys,

I decided to update my code base a little. The following is a quick screen shot, nothing fancy, but (if sound was included) you can see that I now (mostly) support the AC97 sound card.

Image

As a side note, I decided to let it boot at 640x480x32 and of course the background image is a little larger and "bleeds" to the top. I will have to fix this.

Anyway, after the interest in the AC97 Post, and after reading over the specs, I decided to see what I could come up with. Surprisingly, the AC97 is actually quite simple to program, once I clarified a few things with different documents.

Anyway, I have an updated (USB) bootable hard drive image (20 Meg) at the home page or a direct link (7 meg zipped).

It is a Lean FS image with the boot and kernel files, fonts, various image formats and now, various sound formats as shown in the listing in the image above.

The GUI runs fine (though a bit slow) in an emulator, i.e.: all images are visible, even the animated .GIFs and animated .PNGs. It runs a lot faster on real hardware since it takes advantage of the hardware's fast memory move features, but some of the images now don't display at all. uuhhmmm. I will have to investigate this.

Anyway, just thought I would put up an update. Thanks to everyone here for keeping this hobby interesting.

Ben
- http://www.fysnet.net/osdesign_book_series.htm

Author:  hextakatt [ Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

BenLunt wrote:
Hi guys,

I decided to update my code base a little. The following is a quick screen shot, nothing fancy, but (if sound was included) you can see that I now (mostly) support the AC97 sound card.

Image

As a side note, I decided to let it boot at 640x480x32 and of course the background image is a little larger and "bleeds" to the top. I will have to fix this.

Anyway, after the interest in the AC97 Post, and after reading over the specs, I decided to see what I could come up with. Surprisingly, the AC97 is actually quite simple to program, once I clarified a few things with different documents.

Anyway, I have an updated (USB) bootable hard drive image (20 Meg) at the home page or a direct link (7 meg zipped).

It is a Lean FS image with the boot and kernel files, fonts, various image formats and now, various sound formats as shown in the listing in the image above.

The GUI runs fine (though a bit slow) in an emulator, i.e.: all images are visible, even the animated .GIFs and animated .PNGs. It runs a lot faster on real hardware since it takes advantage of the hardware's fast memory move features, but some of the images now don't display at all. uuhhmmm. I will have to investigate this.

Anyway, just thought I would put up an update. Thanks to everyone here for keeping this hobby interesting.

Ben
- http://www.fysnet.net/osdesign_book_series.htm

Excelent work Ben!

Author:  alnyan [ Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

After I've started rewriting the whole scheduler/syscall/task/vfs thing, there's not much to show, but now the kernel supports kernel-mode tasks.
Image
And with vesa framebuffer console:
Image

Here's also a screenshot from before I've started the rewrite - signal handling in userspace:
Image

Author:  Seahorse [ Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

mallard wrote:
I've not posted a screenshot for a little while since I've largely been working on "invisible" back-end stuff, like hardware autodetection, package management, etc. and haven't had much to show... I've recently returned to working on UI-related stuff, so here goes:

Image

This shows a few "prototype" GUI apps I built relatively quickly based on a port of SDL Widgets (whose stock test program is also visible). At the bottom of the screen, you can see my very early work-in-progress on my own GUI widget system.

EDIT: Here's a bonus screenshot of a much higher resolution display with (nearly; there is evidence of the missing one...) every GUI application that exists for BT/OS visible, along with a bit more work on my widgets:

Image
(Click for full size)

Looks like Windows 3.x and 9x have been mixed together.

Page 226 of 230 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/