OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:37 am 

MajickTek wrote:
Technically, Duktape is for a JavaScript subset called EcmaScript, but I guess it would be compatible.

ECMAScript is JavaScript. JavaScript is a trademark originally owned by Netscape (I think it's with Mozilla now) and technically only referrs to the implementation in Netscape/Mozilla browsers. Whoever owns the "JavaScript" trademark allows it to be used for compatible implementations now, but this wasn't always the case, e.g. Internet Explorer's "JavaScript" is actually called "JScript".

"ECMAScript" is the name used by the Ecma International (formerly the European Computer Manufacturers Association), whose ECMA-262 standard is the standard for the "JavaScript" family of languages, including non-browser dialects, such as ActionScript and Node.js.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:15 pm 

mallard wrote:
ECMAScript is JavaScript. JavaScript is a trademark originally owned by Netscape (I think it's with Mozilla now) and technically only referrs to the implementation in Netscape/Mozilla browsers. Whoever owns the "JavaScript" trademark allows it to be used for compatible implementations now, but this wasn't always the case, e.g. Internet Explorer's "JavaScript" is actually called "JScript".

"ECMAScript" is the name used by the Ecma International (formerly the European Computer Manufacturers Association), whose ECMA-262 standard is the standard for the "JavaScript" family of languages, including non-browser dialects, such as ActionScript and Node.js.

My mistake. I thought it was a separate standard, like an extension or something. Everyone has mistakes :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:50 am 

Attachment:
fullmoon_fstest.png
fullmoon_fstest.png [ 13.24 KiB | Viewed 6490 times ]

Working on the ext2 implementation of my current project. The directory listing at the end is produced by a binary in userspace using kernel calls to read the directory contents. Currently it is text interface only.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:25 am 

davidv1992 wrote:
The directory listing at the end is produced by a binary in userspace using kernel calls to read the directory contents. Currently it is text interface only.

Nice. I feel like getting the basics like drivers and solid user space interfaces to work is often underappreciated in threads like this one. Good job getting this stuff to work!

managarm: Microkernel-based OS capable of running a Wayland desktop (Discord: https://discord.gg/7WB6Ur3). My OS-dev projects: [mlibc: Portable C library for managarm, qword, Linux, Sigma, ...] [LAI: AML interpreter] [xbstrap: Build system for OS distributions].

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:28 am 

Korona wrote:
davidv1992 wrote:
The directory listing at the end is produced by a binary in userspace using kernel calls to read the directory contents. Currently it is text interface only.

Nice. I feel like getting the basics like drivers and solid user space interfaces to work is often underappreciated in threads like this one. Good job getting this stuff to work!

I agree, great job @davidv1992.
People have been enchanted by all those GUI's. They only care about what is on the surface, not thinking about what is inside (core code base).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:57 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:28 am 

Partial implementation WinApi in my Kernel (for MinGW libc++). I can now develop kernel modules using full STL. :)

Attachments:
111.PNG
111.PNG [ 36.86 KiB | Viewed 6404 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:22 pm 

After about a month of slowly-increasing work, I've made it real cutesie but still needs a LOT of under-the-hood work. The command parser is on its way and eventually I'll be ditching the pre-usermode shell altogether most likely. Couple things on the itinerary include the filesystem, basic drivers, and real hardware implementation.

I'm having issues implementing the A20 and paging with a VIA Eden C7 that I got from a friend. Got to get over that hurdle to truly FEEL the fruits of my labor! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:09 am 

@human00731582: according to A20 gate, this code is tested and proven to work on VirtualBox, qemu, bochs and on real machines (among others VIA mbs) as well. Tries to use BIOS and fallbacks to 8042 chip method.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:40 am 

bzt wrote:
@human00731582: according to A20 gate, this code is tested and proven to work on VirtualBox, qemu, bochs and on real machines (among others VIA mbs) as well. Tries to use BIOS and fallbacks to 8042 chip method.

Thanks for the sample! I don't want to derail the thread, so if you don't mind, I'm going to PM you asking about this sample. I appreciate the feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:22 am 

finally i can emulate my os on shitty arm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:12 am 

Getting back on topic...

Here is an early version of my OS's boot menu.

Attachment:
File comment: Early boot menu.
EarlyBootMenu.png
EarlyBootMenu.png [ 42.15 KiB | Viewed 6421 times ]

This is part of a custom boot loader that I'm developing for my kernel. It will eventually show each of the volumes/partitions with a recognised OS/Kernel on it. They'll be shown with a disk icon representing the medium they are on along with the volume name.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:58 am 

snijj wrote:
Getting back on topic...

Here is an early version of my OS's boot menu.

This is part of a custom boot loader that I'm developing for my kernel. It will eventually show each of the volumes/partitions with a recognised OS/Kernel on it. They'll be shown with a disk icon representing the medium they are on along with the volume name.

Reminds me of a Macintosh Classic :P

Edit: and no kidding! you are running the VM on macOS (or a very convincing macOS theme for Windows)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:01 am 

Haha, yeah at the moment it does somewhat resemble that doesn't it? :P. It will have the volume labels underneath each of the icons eventually, and the icons will be positioned side by side, with the ability to select which volume is booted.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:30 pm 

Working on the network stack...
Never expected that i would be so excited by a simple ping!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211 ... 260  Next