OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:55 am 

klange wrote:
Dennisbonke wrote:
I've set out on a journey to port a proper browser to Managarm somewhere in 2021. It has been a long time, with serveral browsers tried, but in the end we made it. I'm typing this post from within Managarm, using WebKitGTK. It's a milestone I never thought we would reach. While not all sites load, for example, youtube and discord are hanging somewhere, and video playback is borked too, something with gstreamer we think, it's good enough for this and many other sites. Of course, there is a screenshot attached here, made from my host and uploaded from my host to a server of mine for usability reasons. We plan on fixing that too eventually.

This is a really fantastic accomplishment. Is there a build available with WebkitGTK ready to go? I'd love to poke at it!

Our CI builds fresh images to pull on every commit to the main repo, C library or supporting repo’s. Unfortunately it doesn’t include WebKitGTK due to the size and the fact that I still have a few small hacks to eliminate. I’m more than happy to provide an image for you with WebKitGTK tho, I’ll update this post, probably later tonight (CEST) with a link, a proper qemu command line and instructions on how to run the browser (it’s not installed into PATH by the build system of WebKitGTK, as the MiniBrowser is technically considered a demo).

EDIT:
I've uploaded an image that contains the browser to my server. In /root, I've placed a README.md which explains it too.
You can download the image here, and to run it, I've prepared the following qemu command for you. Note that less memory will probably work fine, but during my chromium testing days I bumped it to 8 gigs and never turned it down. We recommend no less than 1 GB, and the default in our upstream run script is 2 GB.
Code:
qemu-system-x86_64 -s -m 8192 -enable-kvm -debugcon stdio -cpu host,migratable=no -smp 1 -device piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci -device usb-ehci,id=ehci -device qemu-xhci,id=xhci -drive id=boot-drive,file=image,format=raw,if=none -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=boot-drive -netdev user,id=net0 -device virtio-net,disable-modern=on,netdev=net0 -object filter-dump,id=fd1,netdev=net0,file=net0dump -vga vmware -device usb-kbd,bus=xhci.0 -device usb-tablet,bus=xhci.0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:27 pm 

Dennisbonke wrote:
I've uploaded an image that contains the browser to my server. In /root, I've placed a README.md which explains it too.
You can download the image here, and to run it, I've prepared the following qemu command for you. Note that less memory will probably work fine, but during my chromium testing days I bumped it to 8 gigs and never turned it down. We recommend no less than 1 GB, and the default in our upstream run script is 2 GB.
Code:
qemu-system-x86_64 -s -m 8192 -enable-kvm -debugcon stdio -cpu host,migratable=no -smp 1 -device piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci -device usb-ehci,id=ehci -device qemu-xhci,id=xhci -drive id=boot-drive,file=image,format=raw,if=none -device virtio-blk-pci,drive=boot-drive -netdev user,id=net0 -device virtio-net,disable-modern=on,netdev=net0 -object filter-dump,id=fd1,netdev=net0,file=net0dump -vga vmware -device usb-kbd,bus=xhci.0 -device usb-tablet,bus=xhci.0

I can confirm that it works. Very awesome stuff!

Attachments:
wayland-screenshot-2023-04-10_23-26-23.png
wayland-screenshot-2023-04-10_23-26-23.png [ 146.17 KiB | Viewed 22566 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:45 am 

New desktop in progress. It has been a lot of work to get this far. Getting everything to display properly was a struggle. Who could imagine font rendering was so difficult to get right?

Attachments:
fudge-screenshot01.png
fudge-screenshot01.png [ 101.04 KiB | Viewed 22468 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:55 am 

USB progressed to the point where keypresses are detected. Currently it only displays "HID Interrupt", but for a test of the endpoint pipeline, a huge milestone.
I think I might end up porting Haiku's HID parser rather than rolling my own :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:46 am 

Finally got writeable filesystems up and running and tied into the VFS. Made the OS's programming language able to mount filesystems and create ramdisks, also so now i am progressing onto creation of an editor now that i have somewhere to save things! :mrgreen:

Attachment:
File comment: user program file output
rr-2.png
rr-2.png [ 11.88 KiB | Viewed 22310 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:36 pm 

It's no webkitgtk, but Dennis's work inspired me to recover an old port ToaruOS had partially working back in 2016 - Netsurf!

This is the SDL backend with a few little hacks/improvements. It took a few minor fixes in my libc, and a bit of work on some of the ports, but it works pretty well. It uses libcurl for fetching, which I have built with mbedTLS as a TLS backend. I am looking into swapping out at least Freetype for my own TrueType renderer, to reduce the dependency list - I might also be able to replace libpng and libjpeg-turbo, but my PNG and JPEG parsers aren't complete (and would at least need better error handling).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:38 pm 

Very impressive, klange!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:19 pm 

I managed to connect my OS to an IRC network!

After making a functioning WYSIWYG editor similar to nano, I am moving on to this utility.

Next step is to flesh out this proto-IRC-client user program to make it actually useful, then I can join it to libera.chat, which was one of my project goals (to connect it to an #osdev channel via irc) way back in the distant past.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:52 pm 

Cyjon/Fern-Night kernels v0.2139

it's not really osdev anymore, but I'm writing a 3D engine on my own system, so it counts, right? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa6LLUxRSPc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:55 pm 

This is my first Operating System:

KlaudOS: https://github.com/coldmayo/KlaudOS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:14 pm 

After 2.5 years of hard work we finally have Discord working on Managarm! It's not the most stable thing ever, but I was able to have a somewhat short but meaningful conversation. It's been a hell of a ride but I'm happy it finally works. Now onto fixing some bugs that are blocking this project from being marked as completed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:26 pm 

Dennisbonke wrote:
After 2.5 years of hard work we finally have Discord working on Managarm! It's not the most stable thing ever, but I was able to have a somewhat short but meaningful conversation. It's been a hell of a ride but I'm happy it finally works. Now onto fixing some bugs that are blocking this project from being marked as completed.

Every time I see this OS there is amazing progress. You are doing an amazing job!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:08 pm 

I stop watching OSdev for just 3 months, and I come back to awesome things! A web browser running on Managarm, an OS which boots to an interpreter like I always said I wanted (and it's 64-bit too), and akasei's OS is mature enough that you can write complex code on it. Wow! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:20 am 

Back to nearly zero (as I completely abandoned my old codebase), but I'm finally back to kernel land.
Read-only support for NTFS on the boot manager (after spending a good time trying to understand the community docs) + a few other FSes, and KASLR (or at least a PoC of it working), are what I've been working on the past few weeks/months, but now I can get the kernel loading from all the FSes I have boot sectors written for.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:15 pm 

Doing some late night kernel programming and had the idea to add easter eggs to my kernel panic function.
Attachment:
panic.PNG
panic.PNG [ 37.3 KiB | Viewed 19391 times ]

This is a reference to the haiku error messages in BeOS's NetPositive web browser, which admittedly I only just now learned about, but immediately knew I wanted to include a reference to in my OS. So now I'm wondering, does anyone else have fun easter eggs hidden away in their OS?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260  Next