OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:47 am 

f2 wrote:
...I know it's less beautiful and impressive than before, but I really need something fast and stable...
Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward! Nice font, by the way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:12 pm 

Basic OS Update:
+Etnox Compositor
->can draw desktop
->can draw windows
->can process mouse
->initial release 0.1
Attachment:
EtnoxCompositorAdvancedDrawing.png
EtnoxCompositorAdvancedDrawing.png [ 11.25 KiB | Viewed 5188 times ]

Last edited by Octacone on Thu May 11, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:35 pm 

Is the window movable? Can you have multiple windows with some kind of "focused window" logic?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:46 pm 

Not the best photo, but serves my purpose. I just implemented a way to draw multiple "screens" in the video output. I already had a class to represent the screen, so I changed my display class to be able to draw more then one screen (I can also choose the position in x-y coordinates). In the photo I set the display resolution to 1920x1080 and drawn a 800x600 screen at 100x100.

This can be useful in situations where you want to have two separate screens (e.g. one for the console and the other to display graphical information). You could also have multiple consoles (obviously having a graphical interface also solves all these cases :roll: )

Attachments:
machina-screen.jpg
machina-screen.jpg [ 111.44 KiB | Viewed 5133 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:40 am 

Finally finished adding complete paging :)
My kernel will stay a lower half kernel, higher half has nearly no advantages for me.
I load all of my apps to 0xC0000000 now which means one applications address space can be a maximum of 1gb.
All the malloced stuff will still go below the virtual 3gb border.

To test everything I ported some apps I wrote on windows before, on the screenshot you can see my snake port runs pretty fine :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:10 pm 

@Ch4ozz you use FreeType to render text or use your own algorithm to render them?
.BIN shall be renamed in some other extension, through since it's mostly used for pure binary files.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:27 pm 

Lukand wrote:
@Ch4ozz you use FreeType to render text or use your own algorithm to render them?
.BIN shall be renamed in some other extension, through since it's mostly used for pure binary files.

Well Im gonna change it to .elf or .exe then (I might support PE files soon)
Im using a modified version of stb_truetype (https://github.com/nothings/stb)
Porting freetype was too much work imo :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:34 am 

omarrx024 wrote:
Is the window movable? Can you have multiple windows with some kind of "focused window" logic?

Not (yet). I have that in plan. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:00 pm 

My GUI, showing the terminal emulator, a widget test application, and a pretty successful run of Snake :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:07 pm 

Awesome!
You already added all the stuff I still have to add :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:59 pm 

Wrote a file system implementation, implemented open(), close(), seek(), tell() and read(), fixed a few bugs in my block device manager along the way. And of course, the best reward of a file system is that it lets me use a picture file as the background, and that lets me post in this thread, lol. :mrgreen:
Next up on my to-do list: executing programs from disk. I already have capability to execute programs from memory, and so loading from disk wouldn't be more than a few file system calls, and then doing the same as I do to load from memory. :)
EDIT: Forgot to say this, QEMU is emulating a SATA hard disk here. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:53 am 

omarrx024 wrote:
Wrote a file system implementation, implemented open(), close(), seek(), tell() and read(), fixed a few bugs in my block device manager along the way. And of course, the best reward of a file system is that it lets me use a picture file as the background, and that lets me post in this thread, lol. :mrgreen:
Next up on my to-do list: executing programs from disk. I already have capability to execute programs from memory, and so loading from disk wouldn't be more than a few file system calls, and then doing the same as I do to load from memory. :)
EDIT: Forgot to say this, QEMU is emulating a SATA hard disk here. :)

Bravo! =D> You finally done SATA, IDE and filesystems for your OS!
Based on source-code, add executable support and move GUI away from kernel... Althrough you will need some work to use stack in them seperately, through...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:23 am 

Finally, after it being on my TODO list for nearly five years, ToaruOS has ATAPI CD and ISO 9660 FS support, so the live CDs can read their host media. My ISO 9660 implementation is fairly minimal, not yet supporting the Rock Ridge or Joliet extensions, hence the short filenames in this screenshot (I'll get around to Rock Ridge eventually). I took the Linux approach of forcing these filenames to lowercase for display purposes, as compliant implementations should only write UPPER CASE file names and those are ugly (I know recent versions of xorriso are writing lower case names, though; quite odd!). In building this, I discovered a completely unrelated bug in my compositor and image viewer when trying to run it in QEMU, but that's a story for another thread. Screenshot is of VirtualBox on Windows as I was also testing my toolchain under WSL (it works with a minor patch). Showing the wallpaper I use in GRUB on my CDs, which is a darkened and scaled version of the one I use generally: a photo I took of Yosemite (it's darkened so the white text of the bootloader menu is legible).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:48 am 

Incredible! ToaruOS never ceases to amaze and inspire me on my own OS projects. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:33 pm 

Lukand wrote:
Bravo! =D> You finally done SATA, IDE and filesystems for your OS!
Based on source-code, add executable support and move GUI away from kernel... Althrough you will need some work to use stack in them seperately, through...

Thanks!
I don't plan to move the GUI away from the kernel; the core functionality will always be in the kernel. Userspace applications can then use this functionality to make their own looks. I also have plans of an API that lets userspace applications write directly to the display (non-windowed applications) but this is not the time for that yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168 ... 260  Next