OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:33 pm 

Krasno wrote:
PeterX wrote:
1. The graphics effect may be nice, but what interests me more is: Is Develop your self-written IDE?

It is, my main objective with RainOS is make everything kinda from scratch, even the basic programs because it's fun!

Yes, to develop the stuff yourself, that's part of the reasons why I (and many others I guess) do OS dev. Though I don't feel the need to port/rewrite every shell tool or the complete GUI system (you know: X, window manager, gtk, Gnome, and what not...) I'm not saying I won't ever develop shell tools and GUI. But I have more interest in bootloader, kernel, init-system etc. (all rather low-level stuff).

Quote:
Develop (what a great name isn't it) contains basic syntax highlighting and a basic code completion system.

That is pretty cool. I don't think many hobby OSs have that. And the name is ok, too.

(But I guess the compiler is not self-written. That would be a huge task.)

Greetings
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:49 pm 

PeterX wrote:
Yes, to develop the stuff yourself, that's part of the reasons why I (and many others I guess) do OS dev. Though I don't feel the need to port/rewrite every shell tool or the complete GUI system (you know: X, window manager, gtk, Gnome, and what not...) I'm not saying I won't ever develop shell tools and GUI. But I have more interest in bootloader, kernel, init-system etc. (all rather low-level stuff).

Huh, I'm more of the opposite, I prefer writing the higher parts of an OS, it was a huge pain to write everything else in there that was low level, hence why I used GRUB and such (although I still did write the other lower levels stuff from the kernel).

PeterX wrote:
(But I guess the compiler is not self-written. That would be a huge task.)

It indeed isn't, that would be a task for which I don't have time for.

Discord: Krasno#5348

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:23 pm 

So recently I've been working on porting software to Managarm, with one of the latest achievements being truetype font support in Weston. While most of the effort is either in becoming self-hosting or fixing up the X11/Wayland stack to run Weston with Xwayland, not having nyancat was a huge miss in the ever growing port collection in my opinion. So I decided to port klange's nyancat, and it runs pretty well. Not as big as the previous announcements, but important none the less.

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2020-06-30 23-48-34.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-30 23-48-34.png [ 31.35 KiB | Viewed 3577 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 am 

Dennisbonke wrote:
So recently I've been working on porting software to Managarm, with one of the latest achievements being truetype font support in Weston. While most of the effort is either in becoming self-hosting or fixing up the X11/Wayland stack to run Weston with Xwayland, not having nyancat was a huge miss in the ever growing port collection in my opinion. So I decided to port klange's nyancat, and it runs pretty well. Not as big as the previous announcements, but important none the less.

Oh, it actually looks really nice :)

Discord: Krasno#5348

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:06 am 

Can't wait until Managarm fixes the USB bug on my PC (it's already reported). But I am aware of the fact that USB is a tough beast. For example ReactOS has USB problems, too. So I don't push the Managarm developers around (which is always a bad idea).

I especially like the combination of Microkernel with Linux/GNU/Unixoid tools. But the Readme is good, too. Some projects have an nearly empty Readme (or even worse: none at all).

Greetings
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:09 am 

Krasno wrote:
Octacone wrote:
Very very nice! :mrgreen:
Any 1080p screenshots?

I just have more screenshots of the desktop :( specially since I now just got the GUI and the drawing library to where I wanted to.
Scaling is still a bit messed up I think, just don't know much how to fix it.

https://i.imgur.com/nS47pVd.png (don't want it to show as an image since I think the forum might display it too big)

That is some kick-@$$ blur.
Maybe you could also make a white version, like mac OS. I wonder how closely you could replicate it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:55 am 

ComputerFido wrote:
I have been working on some large GUI improvements

Nice GUI, it suits my personal tastes. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:38 pm 

I love this thread! I like how you can see an OS in its early stages with a text display and also see some projects which have beautiful GUI's that look like they could totally be commercial products; and everything in-between. I also think it's really cool to see projects improve over time.

I'm always shy about sharing my OS because it has so many bugs and limitations and whatnot, but I'm trying to get over that.

So here's the latest screenshot of my OS in action:

I recently implemented multitasking and a basic GUI. It's crude, but it's progress!

My last post showed Doom running but that has regressed #-o
I hope to fix it soon and have Doom running in a window.

P.s. The text that you can see popping up for a split-second is because my command-line shell is still processing input and printing to the screen. Also, ignore the bouncing green square. That was the first thing I wrote to show me the GUI app was doing something but I've come to like it being there. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:19 am 

coderTrevor wrote:
So here's the latest screenshot of my OS in action:

It certainly looks like you had fun getting that far, which is encouraging. :) Stacking order is looking good, I like how the green square goes under the taskbar even though it goes over the windows. I actually like the green square myself. :D If it could be stopped, it could be a neat toy. Hmm... that gives me an idea for a thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:03 am 

It may not be too much, but it is a start to NexOS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:16 am 

Here is my really crappy operating system, it's called NetDOS, extremely small(3.2KIB) and can only run programs and do "ls". The name is a reference to NetBSD, and I stole some code too. Git repo: https://github.com/clementtttttttt/NetDOS.git

Attachments:
Screenshot_20200714_181634.png
Screenshot_20200714_181634.png [ 30.53 KiB | Viewed 2825 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:35 pm 

Do you like blur ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:00 pm 

The blur looks great! If the background were to change, do you redraw all the windows, or do you draw them into a buffer with an alpha or blur channel so the window manager can handle the compositing?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:35 am 

Hi Andrew,

Windows are rendered to 32bit RGBA buffers by the clients. The compositor is the one who composites the windows on screen by applying a blur pass before coping each window.

Relevant source code:
https://github.com/skiftOS/skift/blob/6 ... .c#L50-L73

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:05 pm 

your GUI looks very good. would be even better if you made the buttons in the top right (and overall controls) a little bit bigger - instead of that tiny (x) circle, - a bigger [ X ] rectangle, it's not just because I like Windows, it's because, users with touchscreen input would very appreciate this. the tiny circle is hard to hit. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 260  Next