OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:30 am 

I have built a new package manager and package format for my OS. Previously, I had a "package" system consisting of a large manifest of instructions on how to download some files and install them, with operations that included mounting tmpfses, symlinking files, decompressing and mounting ext2 images - it was a mess that was only really meant to automate some things I was already doing to test ported software. Now I've spent a bunch of time ensuring my live CDs have a proper read-write root filesystem (through an in-memory tmpfs initialized at boot with the real filesystem contents), designed a package file format (a specially-crafted gzipped tarball, which is similar to how formats like Deb work) and redesigned my package manager UI. I ported all of my old packages to the new format, and even built a website to browse available packages.

(For reference, the old package manager UI looked like this)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:36 am 

Very nice work! I've now got a little time to get back to some minor development, but won't achieve anything like that.

Just slightly jealous =D>

Cheers,
Adam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:11 pm 

klange wrote:
I have built a new package manager and package format for my OS. Previously, I had a "package" system consisting of a large manifest of instructions on how to download some files and install them, with operations that included mounting tmpfses, symlinking files, decompressing and mounting ext2 images - it was a mess that was only really meant to automate some things I was already doing to test ported software. Now I've spent a bunch of time ensuring my live CDs have a proper read-write root filesystem (through an in-memory tmpfs initialized at boot with the real filesystem contents), designed a package file format (a specially-crafted gzipped tarball, which is similar to how formats like Deb work) and redesigned my package manager UI. I ported all of my old packages to the new format, and even built a website to browse available packages.

(For reference, the old package manager UI looked like this)

That's super impressive. Have you done all the development yourself?

Also, I know you're trying to develop as much of the userspace yourself but how far off would porting a mainstream browser like Firefox be? If you could do that you could run it as a daily OS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:50 am 

smeezekitty wrote:

...how far off would porting a mainstream browser like Firefox be? If you could do that you could run it as a daily OS

Ikr! This is probably the biggest, most powerful hobby OS here (if not ever!) Being developed by one person (also remarkable!).

klange wrote:
...thinking of using litehtml...

litehtml would be a good option as it is obviously very light, and provides rendering for HTML and CSS. I don't know what you could do about JavaScript though.

EDIT: just realised I quoted from your GitHub wiki and not this forum. Hopefully you'll understand what I am referencing!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:15 pm 

I just thought I would post a (my first) screen shot.

Had a little time these past few weeks, off and on, adding a few features, changing a few things, etc.
It is nice to get away from work, and just play every now and then :-)

- http://www.fysnet.net/fysos.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:31 am 

BenLunt wrote:

Had a little time these past few weeks, off and on, adding a few features, changing a few things, etc.

Looks a bit like a combination of Windows 95, Windows 3.1, and NextStep.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:16 pm 

MajickTek wrote:
BenLunt wrote:

Looks a bit like a combination of Windows 95, Windows 3.1, and NextStep.

I have only used a Windows host most of my career, well after DOS, then started with Win3.11 (for workgroups), and with little to no imagination, this is what I got. :-) The good thing is the core windowing system is separate from the drawing system. I can draw the windows however I want and the core windowing system will work identically. Maybe it's time for some research and creativity?

Thanks,
Ben

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:07 am 

BenLunt wrote:
I have only used a Windows host most of my career, well after DOS, then started with Win3.11 (for workgroups), and with little to no imagination, this is what I got. :-) The good thing is the core windowing system is separate from the drawing system. I can draw the windows however I want and the core windowing system will work identically. Maybe it's time for some research and creativity?

Thanks,
Ben

I own a copy of Windows 3.11 for Workgroups and personally love it. It runs smoothly on DOSBOX and works well in general. Along with Borland Turbo C/C++ it is a nice developement workflow for me.

I have a ~15 year old computer that originally came with Windows Vista and am planning on migrating away from DOSBOX to FreeDOS soon. The computer is a Dell Latitude D630 laptop with 1GB of memory. That will be my OSDev environment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:13 am 

Running on an Atmega328P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:05 pm 

smeezekitty wrote:
Running on an Atmega328P

Is it an Arduino (or similar board), or a PCB of some kind?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:23 pm 

MajickTek wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:
Running on an Atmega328P

Is it an Arduino (or similar board), or a PCB of some kind?

It's just on a breadboard. But it would run fine on an Arduino if you flash a slightly modified bootloader that allows writing to flash from application space and adapted an SD card. I used a breadboarded chip because that way I can easily run the whole thing on 3.3V negating the need for level conversion for the SD card. Just one resistor divider needed for serial RX.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:15 pm 

Oh, I see you are posting Putty outputs, so I got excited seeing familiar images, and decided to post my own too. It's when my UEFI for mips FW finally has learnt to initialize SDRAM and, when I splitted the Sec phase into several .S files with necessary modifications (using stack, and doing that properly, with stack frames etc). Now everything is open for the Dxe deployment, which is basically UEFI itself (Boot Services). But before, I need to implement a loading CFV (Core Firmware Volume) into memory from an SD card. Because Dxe Foundation wants Firmware Volumes memory mapped, and not having NOR flash here, we have to load our CFV into SDRAM and then Dxe dispatcher will be fetching from there the Dxe drivers and loading them as PE images and running. That will be UEFI. Of course having a cute output on an hdmi monitor would be so nice, but I have to admit, it's not easy here, the documentation on this part is scarce, there is no VGA, you need to deal with a fully graphical system (LCD, HDMI, all that framebuffer stuff).

PS. And don't ask why it runs twice, it always does so, with any software - uboot/ linux or my FW. It gets reset again immediately after having run some tens of instructions in the FW. The reasons are outside of my code, something in the board design.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:49 pm 

My first GUI Shell Experiment, this is actually window with title bar and close button :)
No text rendering yet as I am planning to port stb_truetype.
I am planning to make it more like widget - style.

Attachments:
YES.png
YES.png [ 13.21 KiB | Viewed 5153 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:40 am 

MajickTek wrote:
klange wrote:
...thinking of using litehtml...

litehtml would be a good option as it is obviously very light, and provides rendering for HTML and CSS. I don't know what you could do about JavaScript though.
Duktape! :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:43 am 

max wrote:

Technically, Duktape is for a JavaScript subset called EcmaScript, but I guess it would be compatible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210 ... 260  Next