OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:11 pm 

Now compositing window manager in Xeneva renders temporary windows called XEQuickWindow, which are helpful for rendering Popup menus, tooltips, notifications..etc. Not completed yet, but here's how it looks.

GitHub: https://github.com/manaskamal/aurora-xeneva
Thanks,
Manas Kamal Choudhury

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:36 pm 

Wow, nice work Kamal123. Pop-ups are something I'll have to deal with one day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:06 am 

I'm optimizing stuff :mrgreen:

Attachments:
windowserver.jpg
windowserver.jpg [ 123.39 KiB | Viewed 11361 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:39 am 

Gramado OS

Attachments:
File comment: Terminal
gramado-terminal.png
gramado-terminal.png [ 3.77 KiB | Viewed 11342 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:02 pm 

Nice work guys, I am literally stuck with ACPI, (X/E)HCI, and other drivers, stuck optimizing my kernel. Stuck wanting to make a VMSVGA 3D Driver (to know how to make the Graphics Library Driver). Then needs to make a Graphics library, then we will start our fancy GUI and Windows Manager. __** I am literally stuck forever hahaha. : )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:55 am 

You're stuck? I still have "write a compiler" on my to-do list! :mrgreen: but only a very simple compiler. I got a little bit stuck on partition tables until I realised nothing actually has a problem with the mess Plan 9's fdisk makes of the c/h/s numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:51 am 

max wrote:
I'm optimizing stuff :mrgreen:

I'm not sure if there is any measure of optimisation with abstract art!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:54 am 

devc1 wrote:
stuck optimizing my kernel

Premature optimization always make you stuck.

I'm not talking about having a good basic algorithm from the start (e.g., you should always choose a hash table over a linked list for lists that require frequent lookups), that's always important. I mean trying to squeeze every possible nanosecond out of your code. It's not necessary until it is.

How do you know if it is necessary? Benchmark. Write your code, benchmark until you observe a bottleneck. Once you find a bottleneck, optimize it away.

Premature optimization makes you lose tons of time that could be spent doing important stuff. Remember, if there is no bottleneck, optimization is doing absolutely nothing from the user's standpoint.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:51 pm 

nexos wrote:
I'm not talking about having a good basic algorithm from the start (e.g., you should always choose a hash table over a linked list for lists that require frequent lookups), that's always important. I mean trying to squeeze every possible nanosecond out of your code. It's not necessary until it is.
Agree 100% on this.

nexos wrote:
How do you know if it is necessary? Benchmark. Write your code, benchmark until you observe a bottleneck. Once you find a bottleneck, optimize it away.

Premature optimization makes you lose tons of time that could be spent doing important stuff. Remember, if there is no bottleneck, optimization is doing absolutely nothing from the user's standpoint.
Do not agree here, at all. For sure that's the wrong thread for this discussion but I just wanted to point out that, by following that logic, a lot of software sucks. A piece of code could be 10x slower than necessary and be left not even roughly "optimized" just because it's not in the "hot-path". What happens with this approach is that you reach millions line of code that is slow and laggish, but it's not clear why. Optimizing the current most expensive function in the hot-path leads only to marginal improvements and making major optimizations becomes insanely complicated. That's because the whole code has been written not caring about performance at all and has hidden scalability issues.

I'd say, write code with performance in mind ALL THE TIME, but don't micro-optimize unless it's necessary. Squeezing every nanosecond when that's hard to do so, is pointless in many places. But, just relaxing and accepting "whatever works" as long as it's not a bootleneck leads to a weird phenomenon called "death by a thousand cuts".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:08 pm 

Interesting! It reminds me that my former friends who were opposed to "unnecessary" optimization were also opposed to very large codebases.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:55 pm 

vvaltchev wrote:
But, just relaxing and accepting "whatever works" as long as it's not a bootleneck leads to a weird phenomenon called "death by a thousand cuts".

Developers should write code with performance in mind always. I just think that bending over backwards to gain a few nanoseconds is a waste time, unless it does result in a bottleneck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:18 pm 

Of course I am not optimizing the GetCurrentProcess() function but I would want to optimize the Schedule(), malloc() and free() functions (because in the past, too much allocations will slow down the MMGR). As you know, this is not the thread for this. But whatever I had never tried to understand what is this hashmap. I just create linked lists and make a bitmap, use the "bsf" instruction to iterrate and allocate, then go to the next list.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:37 pm 

nexos wrote:
Developers should write code with performance in mind always. I just think that bending over backwards to gain a few nanoseconds is a waste time, unless it does result in a bottleneck.
I totally agree. I'm against "bending over backwards" for a few nanoseconds: that needs a pretty solid justification. I'm happy that you like the basic premise of "write code with performance in mind" :-) Note that most developers (whom I talked with in my life) don't agree with that. It's a widespread trend today to just blindly forget about performance and quality until it's too late and the performance is unacceptable. Then, people start to do benchmarks and look for "low-hanging fruits" to optimize. That's way too late.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:59 pm 

Yeah, that's what I am trying to justify. I don't know why people tend to put all the technologies and high performance in trash. I don't (...) know why Windows, languages such as python, and companies are making all these huge and vast performance losses.

Just try to do that with a chess engine and it will never reach a depth of 8.

You have a (...) multi-core 4000000000 GHz CPU powered with the latest SIMD technologies and you still can't make fast applications.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:00 pm 

devc1 wrote:
Yeah, that's what I am trying to justify. I don't know why people tend to put all the technologies and high performance in trash. I don't (...) know why Windows, languages such as python, and companies are making all these huge and vast performance losses.

Just try to do that with a chess engine and it will never reach a depth of 8.

You have a (...) multi-core 4000000000 HZ CPU powered with the latest SIMD technologies and you still can't make fast applications.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257 ... 260  Next