What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
dseller

Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)

Post by dseller »

Did some UI work and added my compiler/VM to it. Here you can see it running on some real hardware :)
Don't mind the date/time, the CMOS battery of this machine is dead.

klange
Freenode IRC: klange

Post by klange »

Progress in my quest to get a full toolchain working again under my new libc - binutils builds and appears to be working.

lkurusa
Freenode IRC: Levex

Post by lkurusa »

klange wrote:Progress in my quest to get a full toolchain working again under my new libc - binutils builds and appears to be working.
This is amazing. Great progress!
Cheers,

Lev
klange

Post by klange »

I didn't expect this followup to be so quick, but, gcc:

A lot of weird little things between having gotten it to build at all and successfully getting it to compile something, but it seems to be working and for a large, complex source file.
dseller

Post by dseller »

Finally building a window manager on top of the OS. You can see I'm quite a fan of the old Apple System 6 design :D.

flerovium

Post by flerovium »

My sorta slab allocator running for the first time in my old kernel project.
When my new kernel is far enough I will use it there to manage my kernel objects :).
I don't have a regular heap atm, the slab just gets a bunch of pages from the physical manager (which just pops them from a stack) and maps them to virtual memory.
I want to avoid having "regular" heap allocations as much as possible (at best not have a kernel heap at all)

EDIT:
The allocator is now able to run on top of my new kernel (microsphere) which had a lot memory-management related stuff added the past days and today.
BenLunt

Post by BenLunt »

After a side-track project, I came back and now have a hard drive image that will boot either UEFI or Legacy BIOS.

I was working on this and ran in to a few issues with the actual file image. I was using multiple (custom) utilities to modify the image file and was getting irregular results. Therefore I decided to take a side-track and create a single utility to do what I needed. Once I got the utility to work as I needed, I came back to this dual boot image.

The .zip included in the first URL above contains two images, a floppy image (bootable legacy only) with the LeanFS, and a 10Meg hard drive bootable either UEFI or Legacy. Instructions for QEMU and the UEFI BIOS is included.

New code in my UEFI and Legacy boot/loader code was necessary to allow for each boot technique. I went to update the UEFI source at github but they no longer support older versions of Firefox (WinXP). I will have to boot to a newer version of Windows to simply update it. ( It wasn't broke, why did they fix it!! )

Thanks to all of you whom participate in this hobby of ours.

Ben
- http://www.fysnet.net/osdesign_book_series.htm
alexfru

Post by alexfru »

BenLunt wrote:After a side-track project, I came back and now have a hard drive image that will boot either UEFI or Legacy BIOS.
Cool!
BenLunt wrote:I went to update the UEFI source at github but they no longer support older versions of Firefox (WinXP). I will have to boot to a newer version of Windows to simply update it. ( It wasn't broke, why did they fix it!! )
Or you could probably learn a few git commands (e.g. push) to update from command line.
BenLunt

Post by BenLunt »

Hi Alex,
alexfru wrote:Or you could probably learn a few git commands (e.g. push) to update from command line.
Ya, that too. I will have to go look and see what it takes.

Thanks,
Ben
nakst

Post by nakst »

File management.
Sik

Post by Sik »

Now all it needs is an icon grid view :​P

For the record, Linux does the copying filenames as text stuff, but it uses the full path, may want to look into that instead (pretty convenient when something wants a file since I can copy the file with Ctrl+C then paste the name in the file dialog with Ctrl+V - my mouse isn't in great shape and some programs are a bit fincky with drag'n'drop and I'm more of a keyboard shortcut user anyway).
yuuma

Post by yuuma »

Now i can load dynamically linked libraries and load executables!

nakst

Post by nakst »

Sik wrote:Now all it needs is an icon grid view :​P

Ideally I'd have more interesting file icons at this point. Oh well :)
Sik wrote:For the record, Linux does the copying filenames as text stuff, but it uses the full path, may want to look into that instead (pretty convenient when something wants a file since I can copy the file with Ctrl+C then paste the name in the file dialog with Ctrl+V - my mouse isn't in great shape and some programs are a bit fincky with drag'n'drop and I'm more of a keyboard shortcut user anyway).
I suppose it could be a user-configurable setting. I'll have to think about it.
klange

Post by klange »

nakst inspired me to clean up my rebuilt file manager (ported from the older Python implementation), finishing up the icon view and adding selection and double-click navigation.

... and pasting files into a text editor:

... as well as a new button widget implementation with a new design:

SopaXorzTaker
Freenode IRC: SopaXorzTaker

Post by SopaXorzTaker »

YaxOS in action.
Kah toh-dye!

Code: Select all

rm -rf ~/stuff/osdev