EPROM confusion

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
jnc100

Post by jnc100 »

Zacariaz wrote:sure it is, but if you are gonna program a bios, syrely you need more info than whats in the intel manual... or?

Well, yeah, you kind of need to know about the motherboard you're putting it on. That's the whole point, so the bootsector writer doesn't need to know about it. Think of it like a system for doing inputs and outputs that's a bit, well, basic.
Zacariaz

Post by Zacariaz »

Then i dont believe it has do place in the manual ;)
anyhow, this threat is more or less dead and i got the point in like the first answer, so maybe it should just stop here?
Combuster
Freenode IRC: [com]buster
Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance

Post by Combuster »

The point was, the manuals are for all those who program specifically for that processor. We os developers program x86-specific, and so do bios writers, not to mention regular assembly programmers. Hence the manuals have to address all of these audiences. Some 75% of it is not interesting for userland programming, but asm freaks still use it because the other 25% is exactly what they need. The same goes for bios and os developers, only with different percentages.
"Certainly avoid yourself. He is a newbie and might not realize it. You'll hate his code deeply a few years down the road." - Sortie
[ My OS ] [ VDisk/SFS ]
Zacariaz

Post by Zacariaz »

still i believe that i should be markd as bios stuff of put in a separate manual. Maybe i should some day like to program a bios, ind then i think i would be nice not to have to look through 5 6-700 pages long manual in order for me to fin those 5-10% i need to read.

Nah, you are probably right, put the point is that i had no way of knowing that i didnt need to know it. ;)