OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:21 am 

Code:
the current codebase started in late November 2021.  Now that's what you call fast.

That's not fast... That's insanely fast I am so envious =D>

iProgramInCpp wrote:
The total kernel source code is 292 KB, and the total OS code so far is 419.4 KB includng user-space apps. I didn't do the window manager in user space, nor are most applications in userspace (yet). In fact I don't even have a user space, or actual filesystem (it's all in RAM right now). It's all in kernel mode, and that's fine for me. Plus I had quite a lot of time available so I was able to focus a lot of resources on this.

All of that in 419.4 KB!!?? I am impressed and start to hope I can see the light at the end of the tunnel myself. Doesn't matter to me that you did it all in kernel-space. That's still quite a feat!

iProgramInCpp wrote:
Total LOC: 11833 (non-empty), file size: 419418 Bytes

only 419418 Bytes for all that!! That means around 27 hours to do it all for someone who knows what he's doing and can type at least at a 50 wpm speed. Now I can hope to achieve great things myself [-o< .

Thanks for giving me hope!

nexos wrote:
Good programmers write 2000 SLOC per year

I heard that one before. often time as people improve their programming skills they write less code in the same amount of time. That would be interesting if one wants to ultimately take his project to the next level (make it available to as many people and so on). I can't speak for iProgramInCpp but in my case I'm just trying to do something that looks good. 10 to 30 years from now, i will thing about making it available to the world. But that is a good advice!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:30 am 

Quote:
I heard that one before. often time as people improve their programming skills they write less code in the same amount of time. That would be interesting if one wants to ultimately take his project to the next level (make it available to as many people and so on). I can't speak for iProgramInCpp but in my case I'm just trying to do something that looks good. 10 to 30 years from now, i will thing about making it available to the world. But that is a good advice!

Very true, if one isn't aiming for perfection, then writing code fast is OK. I personally am a huge perfectionist, so even if I am the only one using my OS, it still has to be close to perfect... down to the build system :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:45 pm 

nexos wrote:
Very true, if one isn't aiming for perfection, then writing code fast is OK. I personally am a huge perfectionist, so even if I am the only one using my OS, it still has to be close to perfect... down to the build system :lol:

=D> nice. I wish I was at least just as good as you guys! I keep programming language hoping and with my health condition (I forget sometimes a lot) I don't know that I can ever improve. Unfortunately for me this is not the topic (on this board) where one can talk about honing his programming skill alone at home without ever working in a company with better programmers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:27 pm 

nexos wrote:
iProgramInCpp wrote:
Now that's what you call fast.

Be careful! Programming fast isn't something I'm that worried about. In the past 6 months, I've written probably like 3500 SLOC. But there are good SLOC that I won't have to refactor (well unless I want to...).

Good programmers write 2000 SLOC per year. So I would be careful that you don't end up refactoring, then you've wasted a lot of time :)

I dunno. Even doing it wrong teaches you how not to do it, so it's not wasted.

I don't know how many times I wrote and rewrote my USB core. I did it so wrong repeatedly, but I learned valuable lessons doing so.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:35 am 

nexos wrote:
Good programmers write 2000 SLOC per year

You mean incredibly lazy programmers. Right? RIGHT?!?

(Sorry if that sounded incredibly unusually aggressive, it was meant more as a confusion sign than anything)

NanoShell --- A 32-bit operating system whose GUI takes inspiration from Windows 9x and early UNIX desktop managers.
Boron --- A portable SMP operating system taking inspiration from the design of the Windows NT kernel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:34 am 

I've published an updated album with 11 years of screenshots of ToaruOS, including several early screenshots I found recently in a laptop backup:

https://gist.github.com/klange/f427a551 ... 0687883fcf

ToaruOS has come a long way since 2011:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:29 am 

Quote:
You mean incredibly lazy programmers. Right? RIGHT?!?

Nope. Read this thread:

https://www.quora.com/I-have-only-produced-5000-lines-of-code-in-a-year-is-it-too-few-for-a-full-time-developer

Basically, this is saying that most things you do as a programmer are refactoring, fixing bugs, etc. Developing a new program involves writing lots of code, but eventually, you'll get to a place where you aren't writing a lot of code.

Also, if you can do something in 700 SLOC that typically would be 1300 SLOC, I'll take the smaller code amount, even if it doesn't have as many features or is slightly (and I do mean slightly) slower. This will ultimately be easier to manage, more stable and secure (as there is less of a bug / attack surface), and depending on what was done, maybe even faster.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:15 pm 

nexos wrote:
iProgramInCpp wrote:
Now that's what you call fast.

Be careful! Programming fast isn't something I'm that worried about. In the past 6 months, I've written probably like 3500 SLOC. But there are good SLOC that I won't have to refactor (well unless I want to...).

Good programmers write 2000 SLOC per year. So I would be careful that you don't end up refactoring, then you've wasted a lot of time :)

Ultimate programmers write 8192 SLOC per year I bet. Some would go crazy and batter their IBM Model Ms at a rate of 1200 SLOC per month (given that he's an ultimate developer and types really quickly, from 7 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.), totalling over 12000 SLOC per year. That would be overkill.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:18 pm 

Been working on my OS for a while again. It's not perfect still (for example the time doesn't appear to work in VirtualBox, but it appears to work completely fine on just one of my test rigs, that one also having properly working rtc interrupts), but it's progress.

This OS runs fully in kernel mode (ring 0) - this makes it really easy to skip certain parts about OS development that I don't like, such as differing CPL task switch interrupts and other stuff. It also allows me to call directly into the kernel to create windows and stuff. It may seem like a backwards design but I like it. It's quite usable now.

Also the "NanoFucked.exe" is an older operating system image that I built that, when run, crashes the main OS. It's there just for testing.

NanoShell --- A 32-bit operating system whose GUI takes inspiration from Windows 9x and early UNIX desktop managers.
Boron --- A portable SMP operating system taking inspiration from the design of the Windows NT kernel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:00 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:41 am 

Last year "thanks" to the pandemic i decided to make my stsep agains in the osdev world!

Creating this time 64bit os (the previous one was only 32bit).

So far i managed to initialize the framebuffer, the apic, io-apic, basic memory manager (i have a kmalloc, but not a free) and other basic stuff...

Here is one of the most recent screenshots.

The source code is on github: https://github.com/dreamos82/Dreamos64

Attachments:
DreamOS_Screenshot.png
DreamOS_Screenshot.png [ 8.19 KiB | Viewed 4163 times ]

- My old Os Project: https://github.com/dreamos82/DreamOs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:53 pm 

Time, Dr. Freeman? Is it really that time again?

It's time for another managarm screenshot. This time, after about an afternoon of work, we have Xash3D-FWGS (Half-Life 1 engine reimplementation) running on managarm, albeit with some hacks, and strange gameplay issues (broken animations on doors and some NPCs). Despite those issues, we can still walk around (sometimes with the help of noclip :wink:) and admire the late 90's level design.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:26 am 

New Graphics for Aurora's Xeneva and many bug fixes.
Now graphics supports windows animations and the taskbar is also animated.

--------------------
email: [email protected]
GitHub: https://github.com/manaskamal/aurora-xeneva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:15 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:57 pm 

Yay, PonyOS! :D That system font tho...

Is the art in the terminals a feature or is it done with Unicode block characters? I'm guessing the latter because of the colors.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 260  Next