OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:27 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:59 pm
Posts: 65
At last, transparency :]
https://blackdev.org/files/cyjon.raw
Code:
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -drive format=raw,file=cyjon.raw -m 32 -rtc base=localtime


Image

_________________
https://blackdev.org/ - system programming, my own 64 bit kernel and software.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:09 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:17 am
Posts: 62
Added taskbar and a clock..

Image






-----
https://github.com/manaskamal/aurora-xeneva
manaskamal.kandupur@gmail.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:12 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:41 am
Posts: 97
Location: Netherlands
When I started osdev I set myself the challenge that all executable code of at least my kernel had to be generated using only NASM and any self-written tools. So, I've been working off-and-on on my own 'programming language' (although it's closer to an advanced pre-processing language for assembly than it is to an actual new programming language). It's essentially 'high-level' assembly including variables, control flow statements, functions, and recently structs and (non-static) methods. A true freak of nature.

The following image is of some test code running (demonstrating structs, methods and for-loops):
Attachment:
test kernel compressed.jpeg
test kernel compressed.jpeg [ 102.05 KiB | Viewed 7491 times ]

The code used to generate the above image:
Code:
Graphics.Rectangle [myRectangle] = Graphics.Rectangle.NewRectangle(100, 150, 200, 250) # allocate & initialise a Rectangle struct

# fluctuate background color between orange and pink, and call myRectangle's Draw() method
colorLoop:
   forbe(byte [green] = 0; cmp [green], 127; inc [green]) # the 'be' in 'forbe' indicates that the for-loop should continue as long as the below/equals condition is met, analogous to the letters 'be' in the 'jbe' instruction
   {
      mov al, 127
      sub al, [green]
      Graphics.fillScreen([buffer], 255, [green], al)
      [myRectangle].Draw([buffer])
      Graphics.copySSE([buffer], [Graphics.framebuffer], [Graphics.frameSize])
   }
   forbe(byte [blue] = 0; cmp [blue], 127; inc [blue])
   {
      mov al, 127
      sub al, [blue]
      Graphics.fillScreen([buffer], 255, al, [blue])
      [myRectangle].Draw([buffer])
      Graphics.copySSE([buffer], [Graphics.framebuffer], [Graphics.frameSize])
   }
   jmp colorLoop
I'm parsing this using a Python library called Arppeggio, and the parse-tree is then compiled/transpiled into assembly code by a compiler (or whatever I should call it) I wrote from scratch in C#, after which the result is assembled using NASM.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:32 am
Posts: 14
Got DOOM (kinda) working!
Attachment:
File comment: (DOOM kinda working)
nop10.png
nop10.png [ 31.02 KiB | Viewed 7259 times ]


I wrote a tiny shell too, with some builtin commands and file loading abilities. Oh, and I also wrote a background program that gets called on kernel panics, CPU exceptions and all kinds of system errors.
Attachment:
File comment: (shell help and kernel panics)
nop9.png
nop9.png [ 6.66 KiB | Viewed 7259 times ]


And the terminal emulator(communicates with the video and keyboard drivers through a really simply IPC system) supports ANSI escape codes too!
Attachment:
File comment: (opening files and ansi escape codes)
nop8.png
nop8.png [ 11.7 KiB | Viewed 7259 times ]


Here's the entire OS, in case you wanna check it:
https://github.com/segfaultdev/nop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:02 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:17 am
Posts: 62
Created a new calculator app for Xeneva
Image


Here's the repository-
https://github.com/manaskamal/aurora-xeneva


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:45 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:17 am
Posts: 62
Here's my os with new updates and bug fixes. Now the graphics library supports basic True Type fonts rendering.

I am also looking for contributors, who will join the project and make the project not only for me but for 'us' . Here's my link - https://github.com/manaskamal/aurora-xeneva

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:34 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 536
Kamal123 wrote:
Here's my os with new updates and bug fixes. Now the graphics library supports basic True Type fonts rendering.

I am also looking for contributors, who will join the project and make the project not only for me but for 'us' . Here's my link - https://github.com/manaskamal/aurora-xeneva

I went to look at your code because it seems like you are not connecting the start and end points of your curves and I wanted to see if I could figure out what you missed, and you can imagine how utterly disappointed I was to find that you stole "your" TrueType implementation from me, despite a very straightforward permissive license. Since you are looking for contributors, you should have no trouble rectifying this situation by adding the required copyright and license information to the file.

Anyway, back to the "not connecting start and end points" problem... Take a look at this bit of code that processes curves, your modified version is immediately drawing lines between the points, so you miss the implicit connection between the start and end, along with being entirely wrong about the shape of the curve because you dropped the parts that actually handle the curve calculations. It actually looks like you copied all of my rendering code but you're only using the coordinate parser...

_________________
toaruos on github | toaruos.org | gitlab | twitter | bim - a text editor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:10 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:17 am
Posts: 62
klange wrote:
Kamal123 wrote:
Here's my os with new updates and bug fixes. Now the graphics library supports basic True Type fonts rendering.

I am also looking for contributors, who will join the project and make the project not only for me but for 'us' . Here's my link - https://github.com/manaskamal/aurora-xeneva

I went to look at your code because it seems like you are not connecting the start and end points of your curves and I wanted to see if I could figure out what you missed, and you can imagine how utterly disappointed I was to find that you stole "your" TrueType implementation from me, despite a very straightforward permissive license. Since you are looking for contributors, you should have no trouble rectifying this situation by adding the required copyright and license information to the file.

Anyway, back to the "not connecting start and end points" problem... Take a look at this bit of code that processes curves, your modified version is immediately drawing lines between the points, so you miss the implicit connection between the start and end, along with being entirely wrong about the shape of the curve because you dropped the parts that actually handle the curve calculations. It actually looks like you copied all of my rendering code but you're only using the coordinate parser...


Yes, I took toaruos true type implementation as guide for learning but the mistake I did was not mentioning the name of toaruos and pushing it to my repository. I am sorry. I will immediately remove the entire ttf.cpp and I will write in future. And also I will mention toaruos on my source code and repository. I am really sorry for that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:19 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Posts: 199
Been working these past months rebuilding my user environment, porting build systems to cmake and fixing a lot of bugs. My new window compositor now runs again, and yes it runs doom! :-)

Image

_________________
MollenOS Github
Gracht Github (Open source protocol library)
Vioarr Github (Open source WM)
Website


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:54 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 536
MollenOS wrote:
Been working these past months rebuilding my user environment, porting build systems to cmake and fixing a lot of bugs. My new window compositor now runs again, and yes it runs doom! :-)

Meulengracht! Great to see updates on MollenOS!
I wanted to try it out but I noticed the "download" page for 0.6 from earlier this year has no download links. :(
Since you've got a Github Actions setup going, I highly recommend setting it up to upload artifacts. It's free nightly builds!

_________________
toaruos on github | toaruos.org | gitlab | twitter | bim - a text editor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:25 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Posts: 199
klange wrote:
MollenOS wrote:
Been working these past months rebuilding my user environment, porting build systems to cmake and fixing a lot of bugs. My new window compositor now runs again, and yes it runs doom! :-)

Meulengracht! Great to see updates on MollenOS!
I wanted to try it out but I noticed the "download" page for 0.6 from earlier this year has no download links. :(
Since you've got a Github Actions setup going, I highly recommend setting it up to upload artifacts. It's free nightly builds!


Thank you klange! The past 6 months have been redoing many things and have had very few actual updates (that are visual), but a lot has changed for the mollenos ecosystem! You've discovered my weakness. Websites. I hate building them and hate maintaining them, thus explaining why it's so behind!

I do have it on my TODO to build images nightly - I'll make sure to get it done asap! I don't know why I've slacked on this point!

_________________
MollenOS Github
Gracht Github (Open source protocol library)
Vioarr Github (Open source WM)
Website


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:13 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 5:56 am
Posts: 607
Location: Flying strange spaceplanes in a distant solar system
sleephacker wrote:
I'm parsing this using a Python library called Arppeggio, and the parse-tree is then compiled/transpiled into assembly code by a compiler (or whatever I should call it) I wrote from scratch in C#, after which the result is assembled using NASM.

Cool work. :) It used to be normal for compilers to generate assembly language and call the assembler to produce the object code, so I don't think you need to call it a transpiler.

_________________
Pixel Forth or maybe even Kaph


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:11 pm
Posts: 17
Not exactly much to show yet now that I'm trying to reimplement everything for x86_64, but the Rotom is too good to not show off.
Image
Here's the logo on its own, which is based off a post by daily-haunted-tv.
Image
To make the text, I just drew it crudely in mspaint and (like the rotom icon) moused over key points to find coordinates. Here's the original.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:59 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 536
Image

_________________
toaruos on github | toaruos.org | gitlab | twitter | bim - a text editor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:31 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 5:56 am
Posts: 607
Location: Flying strange spaceplanes in a distant solar system
@sed4906h: That cracks me up! :D My tired brain looked at it as boring old text mode, then, "Oh hey, graphics! Wait... he implemented graphics support to draw that?" :lol: But I guess you're using UEFI's framebuffer?

@klange: 2.0! =D>

_________________
Pixel Forth or maybe even Kaph


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group