Implementing 64bit optionrom for QEMU

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
anatolik

Implementing 64bit optionrom for QEMU

Post by anatolik »

I have implemented an UEFI bootloader that allows to boot 64bit ELF applications. The boot interface is similar to multiboot but fixes some of its flaws:
- loads normal ELF applications, no special magic headers needed
- works with 64bit applications. Multiboot is defined only for 32bits, but it is so 90s
- multi-architectual, will work with any arch that is supported by ELF format.
- supports ELFs with multiple loadable segments
- passes extended boot information to the application (memory map, elf segments info, ...)

I have a UEFI loader that works great both with QEMU and real hardware (tested on ASUS Q170).

As I said it works with QEMU, through UEFI ovmf firmware. But I found its boot time quite slow (as well as few more restrictions such as poor virtio implementation). I am thinking of implementing a simple optionrom for QEMU, similar to multiboot.bin.

This ROM starts with Intel real mode, fetches e820 memory info, switches to protected mode, inits hardware FPU/SSE/paging then switches to 64bit mode and jump to the ELF entry point. I am looking for a good tutorial and documentation related to QEMU optionrom development. Any existing examples of 32/64 bit QEMU optionrom would be a big plus.