Page 1 of 2

The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2026 10:21 pm
by lunaNoir25
Hello everyone,

I've been working on this operating system (semi-hobby, nothing major, very minimal, and not planned to be as big as Linux) called Lumie (short for "The Luminous Operating System"). It currently boots using Limine for 64-bit UEFI using x86_64 architecture (Intel and AMD CPUs), and doesn't have Legacy BIOS support. Currently, it only has:

* Minimal Unix-like Shell.
* FAT12/16 read only support.
* You can read the rest in the README file.

I have it on GitHub, and I greatly appreciate all support, whether that is suggestions, features, bugfixes or even yelling at me for my terrible code (don't worry, I don't use gotos).

[https://github.com/lunaNoir25/Lumie]

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2026 10:35 pm
by Octocontrabass
lunaNoir25 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 02, 2026 10:21 pmIt currently boots using Limine [...] and doesn't have Legacy BIOS support.
Limine has legacy BIOS support and your makefile seems to set it up correctly. What are you doing that requires UEFI?

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2026 10:40 pm
by lunaNoir25
Octocontrabass wrote: ↑Mon Feb 02, 2026 10:35 pm
lunaNoir25 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 02, 2026 10:21 pmIt currently boots using Limine [...] and doesn't have Legacy BIOS support.
Limine has legacy BIOS support and your makefile seems to set it up correctly. What are you doing that requires UEFI?
Oh, I'm probably dumb, sorry!
I haven't testing this on real hardware yet so I don't know if it does work on BIOS.
I probably overlooked it or focused too much on the UEFI support.
Thank you, I'll try to test it on Legacy BIOS!

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2026 10:45 pm
by Octocontrabass
lunaNoir25 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 02, 2026 10:40 pmI haven't testing this on real hardware yet so I don't know if it does work on BIOS.
Testing on real hardware is always a good idea, but wouldn't you be able to tell if you just run it in QEMU using QEMU's default legacy BIOS?

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2026 10:47 pm
by lunaNoir25
Octocontrabass wrote: ↑Mon Feb 02, 2026 10:45 pm
lunaNoir25 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 02, 2026 10:40 pmI haven't testing this on real hardware yet so I don't know if it does work on BIOS.
Testing on real hardware is always a good idea, but wouldn't you be able to tell if you just run it in QEMU using QEMU's default legacy BIOS?
I just tried running on BIOS using QEMU and I got a General Protection Fault.
Maybe I do have code that specifically uses UEFI.

I'm gonna be unable to reply to some messages for a moment, sorry if I take long.

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2026 7:56 pm
by lunaNoir25
I'm rewriting this from scratch to not be dependent on Limine so yay.

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2026 12:03 am
by Octocontrabass
Why?

And what are you replacing Limine with?

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2026 8:29 am
by lunaNoir25
Octocontrabass wrote: ↑Fri Feb 13, 2026 12:03 am Why?

And what are you replacing Limine with?
I'm placing Limine with GRUB. I am aware I'll loose the Limine protocol, but I believe the more freedom and flexibility of GRUB will help in the long wrong.

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2026 11:04 am
by Octocontrabass
What "freedom and flexibility" do you need that Limine doesn't give you? I doubt GRUB will be any better. In fact, GRUB will probably be worse. The Limine protocol was designed to address limitations of Multiboot and Multiboot2.

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2026 11:05 am
by lunaNoir25
Eh, I like pain.

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2026 11:07 am
by lunaNoir25
Also, it's fun. :3

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2026 11:51 am
by Turqul
I find it kind of funny how similar Lumie's name sounds to my operating system. I named mine LumenOS.

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2026 1:40 pm
by nullplan
Turqul wrote: ↑Thu Feb 19, 2026 11:51 am I find it kind of funny how similar Lumie's name sounds to my operating system. I named mine LumenOS.

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2026 2:15 pm
by lunaNoir25
nullplan wrote: ↑Thu Feb 19, 2026 1:40 pm
Turqul wrote: ↑Thu Feb 19, 2026 11:51 am I find it kind of funny how similar Lumie's name sounds to my operating system. I named mine LumenOS.
Lol, it is!

Re: The Luminous Operating System

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2026 3:06 am
by jrifuoue
cool