Page 1 of 1

accessing a network dir in DOS

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:26 pm
by rich_m
to change to a particular directory we use

Code: Select all

cd c:\win\sam
i got a directory whose path is "\\e-server\samuel\"
how do i reach this directory in DOS.

Re:accessing a network dir in DOS

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:19 pm
by AR
MSDOS does not have networking support, it cannot be done (at least not without a 3rd party tool, like porting Samba to DOS).

If you are referring to the Windows Command Prompt, it doesn't support it either, you have to create a network drive for it as far as I know.

Re:accessing a network dir in DOS

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:51 am
by srg
AR wrote: MSDOS does not have networking support, it cannot be done (at least not without a 3rd party tool, like porting Samba to DOS).

If you are referring to the Windows Command Prompt, it doesn't support it either, you have to create a network drive for it as far as I know.
I can't remember where but I think MS manmanager for DOS is available free (and legally) off the internet.

srg

Re:accessing a network dir in DOS

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:10 pm
by Ushma
I remember writing "networked" MS-QBasic programs by telling Windows to share files and reading and writing to them after opening them, calling them by their "\\computer\share\file.ext" name. It occurs to me that QBasic being a DOS program, that DOS supports SMB with the right drivers (that, in my case, Windows provided).

As for walking the shares with command.com, I don't believe I was ever able to do that. You'd have to map to a network drive or use a different program.

Re:accessing a network dir in DOS

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:18 am
by whyme_t
By "accessing a network dir in DOS", do you mean:
1) Accessing a remote share (Non-DOS) from DOS prompt?
or
2) Accessing a remote share on a DOS machine from a Non-DOS machine?

DOS has no standard TCP/IP Stack, although I've had some success using Trumpet TCP/IP for DOS,to access an FTP site thu my LAN's internet gateway. This does require a PKTDRV for your NIC to be installed correctly, I believe CRYNWR, has most the drivers you could need, specifically pktd11.zip.

Although I've not tried to network a DOS machine on a workgroup, this link looks like it could help,http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dosclien.htm

Good luck ;)

Re:accessing a network dir in DOS

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:29 am
by rich_m
whyme_t wrote: By "accessing a network dir in DOS", do you mean:
1) Accessing a remote share (Non-DOS) from DOS prompt?
or
2) Accessing a remote share on a DOS machine from a Non-DOS machine?
1) Accessing a remote share (Non-DOS) from DOS prompt.