Re: Windows on 68000
Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2025 9:21 pm
No we haven't. You only provided the price that the Amiga 500 was introduced as.iansjack wrote: ↑Wed Jul 30, 2025 2:57 amYes - the Amiga 500's price went down to £399. The same price as the Amstrad, but you also had to buy a monitor for the Amiga - still more expensive. And still lacking software compared to the PC.We've already covered that mistruth.No it wasn't. I bought an Amiga 500 myself. Not as soon as it hit the shelves, but when the price came down.
You know worldwide prices, do you? Around 1987 I bought a Commodore PC 5 with 20 MB hard disk and monochrome monitor for AUD$2000. About a year later I bought an Amiga 500. I don't remember the price, but as far as I can remember it was much cheaper (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it). I likely paid around AUD$500. I bought an Amiga 500HD I think it was called (just the hard disk) sometime later (I think), and that was probably another AUD$500. I used a TV instead of a monitor as far as I can remember. I don't remember Amstrad PCs even being available.The Amiga was always more expensive than the cheapest PC compatible.
You're the one claiming to know worldwide prices for two different machines at all times that they were available for sale, not me.This is not America - you can't just make up the numbers.
Not really. I already know that - the software wasn't available.I thought we were talking about why the Amiga didn't sell as well as the PC.THIS IS THE PROBLEM I AM TRYING TO SOLVE!!!
And I have been trying to solve it for 30 years with PDOS.
I'm not trying to get Amigas to outsell PCs in 2025. I'm trying to understand what software (or culture) was absent in the 1980s that prevented people from seamlessly moving to an alternative CPU, and then trying to make that software available (or make the appropriate cultural changes).A bit late now to solve the problem when PCs are so cheap and any Amigas you can buy are so expensive. We have to work with the world the way it is, not how we wish it had turned out.
What difference does that make? If the owner of the proprietary hardware tries to screw you price-wise, you just seamlessly switch again to different hardware.The big problem with the Amiga is that you were tying yourself in to proprietary hardware.
And you can choose to use that if you wish. But you risk tying yourself down to the Amiga.The joy of the Amiga was its novel operating system;
Not replace, so much as - run alongside.why would I want to replace that with some MS-DOS or Windows imitation?
And the reason? So that your software suite can be transferred back to a PC (or some other machine - like the Atari) at the drop of a hat. That's (one of) my goal.