Octocontrabass wrote: ↑Mon Jul 28, 2025 1:03 pm
kerravon wrote: ↑Sun Jul 27, 2025 11:09 pmPardon? I can write 9 bits to 0xb8000? For a 9-bit index into a font table?
Yes. You can program EGA/VGA to expect 9-bit characters using either
INT 0x10 AX=0x1103 or the equivalent register manipulation. Bit 3 of the attribute byte acts as the additional character bit, so you may also want to reprogram the attribute controller to ignore that bit (which limits you to only 8 foreground colors).
Ok, thanks. I don't care if I only have monochrome.
kerravon wrote: ↑Sun Jul 27, 2025 11:09 pmI'm trying to honestly compete with the XT in the actual timeframe.
The XT was released in 1983. EGA wasn't available until several months after the AT was released in 1984. The XT was discontinued in 1987, at the same time the PS/2 and VGA were released.
If you're aiming for a typical XT, you need to aim for CGA, not VGA.
I'm not trying to target that either. If you have to add a VGA card to an XT to support Vietnamese - so be it. My concern is whether it is possible to do "fast (modified) ANSI" on an 8086.
kerravon wrote: ↑Sun Jul 27, 2025 11:09 pmAnd just saying that the only thing that is required is a cultural change and software change.
Asking for that kind of "cultural change" is insensitive at best and a declaration of war at worst. I suggest you stop asking.
I didn't so much "ask" for cultural change, as say that that's what I consider to be the correct technical solution, and that PDOS won't cater for DBCS for that reason.
If the Japanese refuse to use PDOS for that reason - I don't care. If they fork it - I don't care. If they get upset that I won't incorporate their DBCS changes into the main PDOS - well - that's what happened when someone tried to introduce C99 stuff into PDPCLIB too. A clash of cultures in C programming. BTW, in a work environment, a couple of people got upset about me converting a K&R C source base into C90 - despite me being the one that had to maintain it. A clash of cultures where I was the one "too far advanced". That was in the mid 90s.
kerravon wrote: ↑Sun Jul 27, 2025 11:09 pmI don't consider that to be "progress". I'm rechallenging starting from C90.
So what do you consider to be progress? Modern computers can handle text in every language at the same time. That sounds like progress to me.
Modern computers require large amounts of memory and processing power to do what they do these days. I don't want to rely on such things. You've heard of "collapse os", right? I'm not saying that I agree (also not saying I don't agree - I simply don't know) that one day we will be scurrying around landfill for Z80s. If we are, Z80s have too little capacity for PDOS to operate. I am conscious that I am "splurging" in aspects of memory - I don't want to break the natural form of the code to cater for limited memory. But I am not willing to splurge on the CPU speed. I expect things to run at 4.77 MHz. And I don't expect to get a performance impact just because I switch from English to Vietnamese - both SBCS.
So that's progress for me - having locales implemented for Vietnamese. Currently PDPCLIB has no extra locales at all. Also progress would be for the Japanese to be able to touch-type in Katakana without ever needing to switch to the English keyboard, because software is designed to not be case-sensitive, and in any "press the letter C" type prompt, there is a Katakana character that can map to C when the programmer uses toupper(). I'm still expecting the software to be written in English - programmers aren't typically going to go to the effort to provide translations. But muscle-memory will allow them to operate the software at full speed using only Katakana. The Katakana will all be accepted by isprint() too. Touch-typing Katakana is likely to be done using the "moon array" keyboard from 2chan or whatever.
This is my rough opinion - I don't necessarily have all the underlying assumptions teased out, nor necessarily know how to vocalize it properly.