OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Hydrogen OS 0.11.x
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:43 pm 

Tommy wrote:
Synon wrote:
Wow. This is great! The GUI is very nice, clear and concise. Are you going to have somewhere for minimized windows to go (e.g. panels in GNOME or the taskbar in Windows)?

Thanks for testing Synon :) .
For minimized windows, I can reimplement the taskbar which was present on old HyOS releases.

No problem, and that'd be great. I'd like to mention that as a guest on Qemu (with ArchLinux running as host) it booted in about three seconds. It's pretty fast, too.

I have one bug to report (not sure if this is just Qemu); sometimes the mouse will leave images of itself behind: http://i46.tinypic.com/11kwnd2.png

The system also gets sluggish when I load several programs (although to be fair, that could also be Qemu and/or that it's on virtual hardware).

Quote:
Hmm... Why you want to see the source code? For learning? Or for copying my code in your OS?

Never. I'd not copy someone elses work and try to pass it off as my own. And at any rate, I'm not writing mine yet. I'm just learning so I can be ready when I try to. I've been reading the wiki and some of the help topics on the forums since about October.

Quote:
As Bogdan Ontanu says
"it is my creation I can do with it as I please"! I do not want to get into a debate that has no place here. However,
I can think about a new license which will allow everyone to access to the source code for studying it and understanding
it... for people who understand French, because source comments are in French :oops: .

It's not a problem with me, I just prefer open source stuff. An excellent example is Linux. It started off as an attempt to beat Minix and flourished into a massive success.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:00 am 

Salut, f2!

Just FYI KolibriOS skin based on elder GUI version of your OS http://board.kolibrios.org/viewtopic.ph ... 267#p67267

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:37 pm 

I would really like to see and download your OS, but I'm afraid that I could not access your website.
Is it a home server / does not work while night in your time zone?

Post subject: Re: Hydrogen OS 0.11.x (OFFLINE)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:06 am 

Hi Lukand!

The website was directly hosted by my ISP and is no longer available! I closed it because I didn't have as much time to work on my OS.
Today, Hydrogen OS (now Obsidian OS) is not actively maintened and, for lack of time, I don't plan to rebuild a new website for the project.
Also, I'm not sure if one day I will work again on the OS. It was a great and interesting project, but it was hardly maintenable : the OS and all
its tools (assembler, mkfs...) are written in assembly. I would like to work on the project again, but today the motivation is gone!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:55 pm 

Ohh..

Do you have most recent compiled build on your computer? Can you post a link? Because I really want to see your operating system.

Post subject: Re: Hydrogen OS 0.11.x (OFFLINE)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:20 pm 

Nope, I don't have any recent build on my laptop and the source code has been archived on a backup hard disk.
For information, the latest version of Obsidian OS was command-line only, and finally not really interesting to see, the extremely buggy GUI has been removed from the OS.