OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: EHCI BIOS handoff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 am 

It appears the source code for Linux and FreeBSD both have the same bug in disabling BIOS ownership of the EHCI controller, which is kind of funny given some Linux experts here claiming it is the source-code base that "works". :mrgreen:

In the EHCI document, the HCCPARAMS contains the EECP pointer at bits 8-15. In some EHCI-controllers, this capability cannot be found by scanning through the PCI capability-chain (because it is not linked into it). Therefore, the Linux source code checks every PCI location starting from 0x40 looking for the 0x1 signature. It thus find both the PME control capability, and the EECP base, and could try to do change ownership on the PME control capability (which could be disastrous).

Anyway, with this fixed, the RDOS EHCI driver know handles the port ownership correctly, and no longer takes a long time to change the config flag.

Post subject: Re: EHCI BIOS handoff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:49 pm 

Rdos, you need to be reminded of the completely stupid statement you made about Linux EHCI Code.... http://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27316#p228844

rdos wrote:
They set it, but due to really lousy coding (it's a parameter with unknown origin) it is more or less impossible to know what they set it to.

Now you have made another claim:

rdos wrote:
It appears the source code for Linux and FreeBSD both have the same bug in disabling BIOS ownership of the EHCI controller, which is kind of funny given some Linux experts here claiming it is the source-code base that "works".

If you want to claim Linux has a bug, you could at least have the decency to state the filename and the function where the bug supposedly is.
This may be news to you Rdos, but Linux is running successfully on millions of computers.
If your bug really is true, the bug would have been reported by someone and you should be able to point to a bug report somewhere.

Rdos, what file / function has the BIOS handover code for EHCI (and UHCI/OHCI) in Linux?

Congratulations on getting your operating system to work correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:14 am 

I can't remember the exact file name, but it was the one that dealt with disabling BIOS ownership in the PCI address space. You should be able to find this piece of code yourself.

There are bug reports that probably are related to the issue: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1152163

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:40 am 

rdos wrote:
There are bug reports that probably are related to the issue: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1152163

Rdos, how many more stupid statements will you make?
The link you gave was for a specific motherboard, the Intel DG45ID.
And if you had of followed the links in the thread, you would have arrived at a message from Sarah Sharp, AN INTEL EMPLOYEE:
http://markmail.org/message/gitgu2q72qjxiwu3#query:+page:1+mid:ad5ymeymceinqfqb+state:results
Quote:
Yes, I wish the Intel employees would have admitted the BIOS software was faulty
and pointed the bug reporter to OTC. I'll make sure we turn on the Legacy BIOS
option and test the BIOS on future platforms.

So it was a bug with the BIOS, not Linux.
Also, if you had any brains, you would have noticed that bug and response was posted in 2008.
So I am 99.99% confident it has been fixed.
If you wish to buy an Intel DG45ID motherboard and test it, to prove me wrong, you are entitled to do that.

Rdos, you have now made 2 stupid statements about Linux. How long until you make a 3rd stupid statement?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:24 am 

Maybe if you looked at the current source-code base instead and made sure it didn't scan the PCI address space from 0x40 and up to discover the PCI location for BIOS handoff you could make sure the issue was fixed? What you do is try to claim the issue doesn't exist with idiotic arguments. It's possible I looked at old code that has been fixed, but I don't care since I'm not contributing code to Linux. They'll have to fix their own issues.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:43 am 

rdos wrote:
idiotic arguments

Rdos, you are the master of idiotic arguments. You started this thread with the following claim:
rdos wrote:
the Linux source code checks every PCI location starting from 0x40 looking for the 0x1 signature. It thus find both the PME control capability, and the EECP base, and could try to do change ownership on the PME control capability (which could be disastrous)

Rdos, I asked for Linux source file name / function name and you have failed to provide this.
Instead, you decided to provide irrelevent information - a link to a bug report for an Intel Motherboard BIOS.... from 2008.
Rdos, you are the person making idiotic arguments - you make big claims about Linux being faulty, with zero evidence to back it up.