OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: OSDev Book
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:27 pm 

Got your mesesage...

Quote:
I'm restarting the OSDev wiki. I'm going to be aiming for something more book-like then the OS Faq at mega-tokyo so when I came across your wiki I naturally wondered if you'd like help out. Email me or stop by the osdev forums if you are interested.

-Chase
OSDev.org

p.s. I tried emailing you but either the webpage with you address is out of date or you've got a messed up postfix alias file.

I would be happy to help out.

My first suggestion would actually pertain to the forum software, as phpBB is hack-prone. SMF seems to be the solid freeware forum software these days (haven't seen a real hack incident yet). I would be glad to help you transition to it if you wish ;)

OTOH MediaWiki was a good choice :D

As for the OS Dev Book, I wouldn't mind moving whatever useful info I have at the dynatos.net one, to here... as the name "osdev.org" is much more intuitive :)

Post subject: Re: OSDev Book
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

SpooK wrote:
Got your mesesage...

Quote:
I'm restarting the OSDev wiki. I'm going to be aiming for something more book-like then the OS Faq at mega-tokyo so when I came across your wiki I naturally wondered if you'd like help out. Email me or stop by the osdev forums if you are interested.

-Chase

I would be happy to help out.

My first suggestion would actually pertain to the forum software, as phpBB is hack-prone. SMF seems to be the solid freeware forum software these days (haven't seen a real hack incident yet). I would be glad to help you transition to it if you wish ;)

OTOH MediaWiki was a good choice :D

I think anything not updated on a regular basis is hack prone(php in general). phpbb has been a victim of it's own popularity, it's open source and popular so people try to hack it the most. I actually *just* switched from some JBoss forum software to phpBB. A BIG reason was MediaWiki, I can integrate the two so that I can just add forum users to a wiki group and they get edit writes. It's a nice way to keep the spam out without having to lock pages or maintain seperate users.

This site runs in something called a Solaris Zone(think BSD Jails with more perks and security) so if it gets hacked it's not the real system and I'll probably have database dumps to another system scheduled a couple times a day.

SpooK wrote:
As for the OS Dev Book, I wouldn't mind moving whatever useful info I have at the dynatos.net one, to here... as the name "osdev.org" is much more intuitive :)

You've been added to the wiki group :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:12 pm 

Sounds good.

I already added the dynatos.net OSDB stuff to your book (wasn't that much). Feel free to edit/reorganize it however you wish. I already took down the dynatos.net OSDB to avoid confusion (it now repoints to dynatos.org, my OS project site).

I will re-point all links from the dynatos.net OSDB to this site.

I will continue to contribute every so often (when time permits). Good luck :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks! \:D/