PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 am 

there is no tut about how can i translate some wiki
i want translate some of wiki page to persian language
Persian is RTL language and direction should set to Right to left
thanks for any guide

Post subject: Re: how to translate a page
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:18 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Be warned, people that need native language for these subjects won't be able to read the more difficult technical documentation either, so you might be better off teaching english to those people that want to get more experience in programming in general and OS development in particular.

Other than that, I can't keep you from finding yourself a server with wiki software and writing your own content one page at a time. I'm sure that if you have RTL support on your computer, you can also use it in a browser.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:29 pm 

thanks for reply
but what this mean?
Quote:
if you have RTL support on your computer, you can also use it in a browser.

how can i tell to wiki show text rtl if it not have rtl feature and ability
that don't related to browser anyway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:49 pm 

as in, I can enter أبجدية عربية and it's automatically printed the other way around by the browser.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:36 am 

molavy wrote:
thanks for reply
but what this mean?
Quote:
if you have RTL support on your computer, you can also use it in a browser.

how can i tell to wiki show text rtl if it not have rtl feature and ability
that don't related to browser anyway

The Wiki doesn't show text. It sends pages to your browser and your browser does the work of displaying them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:14 pm 

Here you go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:12 am 

Combuster wrote:
Be warned, people that need native language for these subjects won't be able to read the more difficult technical documentation either, so you might be better off teaching english to those people that want to get more experience in programming in general and OS development in particular.

Shouldn't we be solving this problem, rather than trying to mask over it with "learn English." Not that I'm adverse to people of other nationalities learning English, and I welcome those who want to, but this is discouraging a massive proportion of people from OSDevving, and indeed, doing a lot of other technical things. Now, granted, we are getting better at automatic translation tools, however we're not to the point yet where we can just point Google Translate at everything, and be done with it. Some human intervention is required. Just my $0.02.

m12 wrote:

From what I can gather, the OP isn't asking how to translate into Persian (which I assume he can already do), he's asking how to set the Wiki to Persian.

And now, to answer the OPs question; there isn't currently any language options directly in the Wiki, as there are in, say, Wikipedia (from what I can gather, anyway). So, you won't be able to get to, say, de.wiki.osdev.org/XYZ. But, what you can do, is wiki.osdev.org/de:XYZ, and link to it from the original article. If you're willing to spend more time on it than the 30 seconds I used to experiment, you can create a language 'box' to go possibly in the upper right hand corner of a page, listing, and linking to, all of its translations.

In terms of the RTL, there's no reason why it won't work, and indeed from my quick experiment, it does indeed work fine. Just type away, and it will work.

If you want my experiment as an example, http://wiki.osdev.org/User:Cwood

Thanks,
Connor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:56 am 

CWood wrote:
m12 wrote:

From what I can gather, the OP isn't asking how to translate into Persian (which I assume he can already do), he's asking how to set the Wiki to Persian.

If you type a url into google translate, you can browse a translated version of the website.
http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... rg&act=url

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:26 am 

All right then, I'll give you that one ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:23 pm 

CWood wrote:
Combuster wrote:

Shouldn't we be solving this problem, rather than trying to mask over it with "learn English."
If you think you can do it, go tell Intel I need a Dutch version of the processor manuals.</sarcasm>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:10 pm 

Combuster wrote:
CWood wrote:
Combuster wrote:

Shouldn't we be solving this problem, rather than trying to mask over it with "learn English."
If you think you can do it, go tell Intel I need a Dutch version of the processor manuals.</sarcasm>

Or just translate them to dutch. That would be just as much a remedy. Why not do Spanish, French, Chinese, Germen, et al. while you're at it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:41 pm 

m12 wrote:
Or just translate them to dutch. That would be just as much a remedy. Why not do Spanish, French, Chinese, Germen, et al. while you're at it?

You love posting random bullshit, why not give those fingers something better to do and do it yourself?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:45 pm 

VolTeK wrote:
m12 wrote:

You love posting random bullshit, why not give those fingers something better to do and do it yourself?

It's called responding to sarcasm with sarcasm. Translating intel's manuals yourself seems easier than persuading intel to do it. (Not saying it's easy)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:21 am 

I am Romanian but when it comes to math, computer science, and computer engineering, my English vocabulary far surpasses my Romanian one.

CWood wrote:

Finding a common denominator is probably the most efficient solution to the problem, actually. Imagine if you had to wait for works to be translated into your native tongue everytime you needed to read a datasheet or a research paper. More obscure ones would probably never get translated. The basis of human communication is having a common language.