OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Disputed IDE Article
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:26 am 

Hello All!
While i was exploring the wiki, I found some article about IDE (Integrated Drive Electorics), ATA and ATAPI (Both Parallel & Serial). the article is a tutorial that shall make you capable of writing a device driver that controls IDE ATA-ATAPI.
I found this article "Disputed". What can i do in the content of this article in order to be "undisputed"????? I'm ready to rewrite it from begin, correct all grammer mistakes i find in the article, and ready to remove redundant contents... what do you suggest???

Link to the article: http://wiki.osdev.org/IDE

Regards,
Mostafa

Post subject: Re: Disputed IDE Article
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:13 am 

Well, a good first step would be to follow the link in the "disputed" box to the discussion page, as it lists in detail why the "disputed" tag is there.

Just like on Wikipedia, really. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:04 am 

Well, In the history page, i can see this:

Quote:
(cur) (last) 15:07, 20 July 2010 Combuster (Talk | contribs) (45,964 bytes) (Added disputed tag. Code is broken) (rollback | undo)

if i repair the code, will administrators remove the tag???

the link in the disputed box leads me to the discussion page, where i can see this:

Quote:
We already have a complete set of articles on ATA PIO Mode, ATAPI, SATA, and ATA DMA programming. Most of the programming information here is redundant, and is not as good as in the other articles.

???

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:44 am 

There is a huge amount of example code (see 'x86 Code Examples') that is redundant in the ATA PIO mode article too. IMHO the name of the article (ATA PIO mode) is a bit misguided as well. The article is much broader than that (although I understand because the article mainly focusses on PIO and not DMA). Maybe it would be better to remove example code and merge the DMA/ATAPI articles (since they are relatively small) into the ATA PIO Mode article and simply rename it to 'ATA' (and redirect IDE to there instead of to the tutorial-like article).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:54 am 

Creature wrote:
There is a huge amount of example code (see 'x86 Code Examples') that is redundant in the ATA PIO mode article too. IMHO the name of the article (ATA PIO mode) is a bit misguided as well. The article is much broader than that (although I understand because the article mainly focusses on PIO and not DMA). Maybe it would be better to remove example code and merge the DMA/ATAPI articles (since they are relatively small) into the ATA PIO Mode article and simply rename it to 'ATA' (and redirect IDE to there instead of to the tutorial-like article).

and i am ready to help in this process.

1- the page "ATAPI" should be merged into the page "ATA PIO mode"
2- then, "ATA PIO mode" should be renamed to something like "ATA/ATAPI"
3- then inside the page we can talk about both "PIO mode" and "DMA Mode".
4- then reforming and inserting the page "ATA/ATAPI using DMA" into the article, under "DMA Mode" section.
5- We should not forget talking about how to eject and lock ATAPI removable mediums.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:51 am 

mostafazizo wrote:
1- the page "ATAPI" should be merged into the page "ATA PIO mode"

Seems like a good idea to me (unless anyone has objections).

mostafazizo wrote:
2- then, "ATA PIO mode" should be renamed to something like "ATA/ATAPI"

AFAIK, ATAPI falls under ATA (it's only another way of sending commands), so I think just ATA should do (or you could use ATA_ATAPI, since I don't think underscores are allowed in page names on wiki's since they form part of the URL directory path).

mostafazizo wrote:
3- then inside the page we can talk about both "PIO mode" and "DMA Mode".
4- then reforming and inserting the page "ATA/ATAPI using DMA" into the article, under "DMA Mode" section.

Seems good to me.

mostafazizo wrote:
5- We should not forget talking about how to eject and lock ATAPI removable mediums.

I agree, although some people may argue that you can already find that in the ATA/ATAPI specifications. But although the ATAPI specification seems to say what command you must send, it only seems to specify full instructions for reading/writing data, but not for special commands such as ejecting. I guess we can only assume the process is more or less the same. If anyone knows how to deal with these, I would be happy to hear it.