OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What belongs to the wiki?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:49 am 

After reading the discussion at http://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21218, I see that some users are interested in things like how to write L4ka servers, which is not quite the same as writing a kernel.

I am wondering now. Does this kind of stuff belong to the OSdev wiki? Would articles regarding this be appreciated or considered off-topic?

Post subject: Re: What belongs to the wiki?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:08 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
The boundary is kindof vague - Driver development for windows or linux is off-topic since it doesn't constitute the creation of an OS - it already exists. The question would be if the L4 kernel alone constitutes an existing OS. At least it isn't a hobby project.

On the other hand, L4 is mentioned to be poorly documented, and might offer a nice start to write your half-own OS from an existing "toolkit".

I wouldn't be able to object if you continued, I wouldn't be able to object if you didn't. What I can imagine is that the documentation will one day have a place of its own (like it should have been) after which it can be decided if the copy here should still be preserved. But that's future talk.

Whether you use the wiki or not, I do think many people would be grateful if the information became available.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:51 am 

Hi,

I know nothing about the subject you have mentioned, but if it could help OS Devvers with designing interfaces and parts of their OS, then I say go for it. Thanks for wanting to contribute!

Cheers,
Adam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:06 pm 

I disagree that an L4 based OS is only a "half-OS", considering that the amount of code contained within the kernel is rather small for a microkernel based OS. However, thats opinion anyway.

I'll write a tutorial as soon as I get my own servers running under L4. At the moment, I'm having some problems getting it to build properly and waiting for a response on the Pistachio mailing list. I've found much documentation on the boot process and things like libl4 which should be very useful.