OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PS2 mouse
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:02 pm 

well
short and fast: ( need to make this one finish)
i have written a new PS2 mouse artikel ( not badly named "mouse input", which it is since the PS2 keyboard artikel is named "PS2 keyboard", and those follows eachother(or mouse follows PS2 controller....))

so i would like some to chek it out, and comment all you dislike / like.

and as a little reminder, im not 100 % finish, but what is postet on the wiki, is the "backup" and the "almos" finished part.

KMT dk

Post subject: Re: PS2 mouse
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:04 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
If only there didn't exist that page... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:17 pm 

well
look at it
and tell me
how many corrections are not to be made, so it is actually easy to understand, and you dont lose the overview !
i could only use 5 lines in my time ( when i used it)
because the rest was more or less to "mashed" up.
only the references actualy helped !

edit:
1: still wounder why many new people ask the same mouse question( simple things) if the artikel is so good.
2: it dont even got the whole command list ..

KMT dk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm 

Then, you should improve that page, and not create a new one. Its a wiki for a reason.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:01 pm 

well
call it an "inprovement" but just one where i did not had to spent like 1 day on cleaning up all, and move 5 tons of text, .....

so insted of just "there is another page, inprove it insted" ..
tell what i need now, cause then we can achive a better one . ( the reason why i ask you (all) to look at this, is because every one oversees something, and because you might make some "small" mistakes)

KMT dk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:46 pm 

kmtdk wrote:
call it an "inprovement" but just one where i did not had to spent like 1 day on cleaning up all, and move 5 tons of text, .....
Call it forcing a situation where you have to move 5 tons of text and spend 1 day cleaning up since there are now two articles on the mouse where there should only be one. :roll:

Quote:
so insted of just "there is another page, inprove it insted" ..
I suppose searching first before creating a second page on the exact same subject wasn't an option... Also the point was "there already was another page, you should have improved that instead rather than creating a conflicting situation and make people angry."

Shifting the blame helps nobody, and will only lose you karma points. I suggest we all cool down and fix this situation.

Quote:
tell what i need now, cause then we can achive a better one . ( the reason why i ask you (all) to look at this, is because every one oversees something, and because you might make some "small" mistakes)
To be honest, your descriptions are incomplete to be able to make a proper implementation out of it. The existing mouse article lacks detail, but gives all the necessary basic detail to get something working. The details makes no sense when the basics have not been covered, so I would prefer the original article given the current state of both.
The best page would therefore be the one where both levels of information is present, and all the remaining holes have to be covered. To get there, the two pages will have to be merged.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:58 pm 

kmtdk wrote:
well
look at it
and tell me
how many corrections are not to be made, so it is actually easy to understand, and you dont lose the overview !
i could only use 5 lines in my time ( when i used it)
because the rest was more or less to "mashed" up.
only the references actualy helped !

Wait. Are you trying to tell us that the Mouse Input article is just "TL;DR" to you, so you're going to all the trouble to write a new one? That's somewhere between freakin' lazy and freakin' not thought through enough.

kmtdk wrote:
1: still wounder why many new people ask the same mouse question( simple things) if the artikel is so good.

Because they're too freakin' lazy to read through the article so instead they just go "pleez make mi kode 4 mee kthx" and dump their bkerndev kernel's source in a few code boxes.

Combuster wrote:
The best page would therefore be the one where both levels of information is present, and all the remaining holes have to be covered. To get there, the two pages will have to be merged.

True. It's probably best to wait a few days and see what comes out of the two articles, then attempt a merger. If all else fails, we just revert the mouse crap to the way it was yesterday.

It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.

I wish I could add more tex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:20 pm 

first
Quote:
Wait. Are you trying to tell us that the Mouse Input article is just "TL;DR" to you, so you're going to all the trouble to write a new one? That's somewhere between freakin' lazy and freakin' not thought through enough.

if it is ***** lazy, then i would have done NOThing ( suprice)
and not thought thoug ?, well, my main argument was the overview, the "mouse input" does not have any start or end ( out of order, usb first ? , and init last ?, well sure you need to tell about sending commands first, but realy, some parts here and some part there needs to be placed together, from all over the text)

and about lazy from other people/ new or what you will charterise them as ( since i must be one of thouse after your opinin), some do, but if you get lost in searching over and over again, then you will ask insted of search.
and not many realy wants to go to the page button and try reading the referanceses, since: thry dont see it, "it looks so big ..." and all of that. so they somehow end up inexpection the wiki to know all.

but since you(r) thinks it is so BAD, then im not gona do any more "wiki" writing on this subjet, until i can get a cleary view of what excatly you(r) inspects to be written.

KMT dk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:19 pm 

The whole goal of the wiki, any wiki really, but this one is particular, is thus: We want a novice OS developer to be able to search our wiki and find all the information they need in one place. So they can search for "PS/2 Mouse" and find everything they need to implement support for the PS/2 mouse.

Everything we do should be moving towards this goal. Having two different articles doesn't help. One better written article is better than two less well-writen articles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:27 pm 

The Wiki is important in its current format, only because it attempts to combine sparse documents and some offer some insider understanding of the technicalities, which is nice if one is confused by the original documents and you do not have to search hard to find what you need. Thus, though I hate to agree with them, your contribution should have been your added explanations to the already existing article.

Both works in question, equally let down a "would-be-programmer" trying to write a Mouse Driver for the first time. There is much more to writing a solid Mouse Driver than the documents discuss, or would even consider to discuss such as resynchronization methods. It really sucks that the PS/2 Mouse Protocol lacks a packet ID, that would really help I think.

Anyway, nice try, even if the bandwagon rolled over you for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:15 pm 

Welcome to the forums, Capitian!

@kmtdk: Why the hell are you snapping at me? I was just asking if you were writing a new mouse driver article because the old one (which, in my opinion, is lacking some useful information) is didn't work for you or whatever. I was trying to be somewhat professional in my question. Apparently that was overlooked.

--Troy

It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:28 am 

No, you were on the verge of trolling, Troy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:57 am 

well
now im working on the orginal ..
so shall i just delete "my" ?

KMT dk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:40 am 

I would suggest using the move button to make it one of your userpages so you can reference it when editing the old one. If there's anything that the old one doesn't cover that yours doesn't, it would be a shame to see it be deleted.

Granted, there is the undelete/rollback, but I think only sysops have that ability.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:32 pm 

I think you should just delete it. You should already have in your head the stuff you need to add. You could keep it for yourself if you find yours to read better than the original I suppose. That's up to you.

I would like to suggest that you include more understanding to aspects of Interfacing the AUX device that go beyond just initializing the device. Maybe even list the steps needed to enable the device and offer procedures for the alternative modes. Explain why I should use the mode and how doing what you say to do matters to me as a first time programmer.

I would also like to see you offer more insight on things like handling invalid packets or crazy delta values. Then show what to do to fix these things when they go haywire. I say take your knowledge and really document it. I hope to be angry that you didn't do this sooner, like when I actually would have used the information myself. And, if you come up with a better way than what I have, then I would be grateful.

If they wont let you go in that much detail and if you want to, then make a tutorial here somewhere and have them link to it from the Wiki article. All seeds to put in your brain. Water twice daily.