OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Updated USB Wiki [Finished Draft]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:55 am 

Excellent work - it's all of a high quality and well-written. It's just the kind of stuff the wiki needs. A big thanks from me :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:02 am 

Your English skills are impeccable, I cannot find any obvious typos.

I hate you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:15 am 

*resists telling Brynet-Inc that he has an incorrect first sentence there, and that the comma should be a semicolon*
:mrgreen:

It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.

I wish I could add more tex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:48 pm 

pcmattman wrote:
Excellent work - it's all of a high quality and well-written. It's just the kind of stuff the wiki needs. A big thanks from me :)

Absolutely :)

The wiki still needs more information on the host controllers, usb hubs, and popular usb device classes. I figure there is a stronger need for EHCI and OHCI articles before a UHCI article, because it seems easier to find a hobby OS developer that has braved implementing UHCI and has had at least some success. I've had a lot of success with EHCI and hope to start that entry soon, and (in accordance with my observation regarding UHCI) I've been familiarizing myself with OHCI. I'm not certain if I have access to an OHCI chip set, though :?

I've been considering a tutorial style entry to sort of jump-start USB support for those who maybe have trouble understanding the lengthy USB article (perhaps due to a language barrier), or for those who just need to start seeing some results before they manage to become excited enough to want to understand (or otherwise interested in learning) the gory details.

It would be interesting to see more announcement/test requests for USB-enabled operating systems :D

Brynet-Inc wrote:
Your English skills are impeccable, I cannot find any obvious typos.

I hate you.

If it makes you feel any better, I've found (and corrected) some typos and grammatical errors. I've also noticed some run-on sentences that I'll need to reword.

Troy Martin wrote:
*resists telling Brynet-Inc that he has an incorrect first sentence there, and that the comma should be a semicolon*
To the same effect, the comma could be replaced with a conjunction, or a period (preferably with a prepositional phrase applied to the second sentence). :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:10 am 

5 stars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:36 pm 

Fantastic article! Thank you.

Adam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:05 pm 

I appreciate the acclamations! Hopefully during christmas break I'll get some more entries going. I hope to eventually cover the following, probably in this order:

• USB Hubs
  • EHCI
  • OHCI
  • UHCI
  • Mass Storage Device Class
  • Human Input Device Class
  • Perhaps a USB Subsystem tutorial.

I know a couple of you guys have (basic? full?) UHCI support, and I know there is at least one guy working on UHCI with Human Input Device Class devices (he contacted me via PM). I know it takes a lot of effort to come up with some good technical writing (which, obviously, such writing would be favorable for the wiki here), but I think at least putting together a stub entry for the time being to at least point developers in the right direction would be beneficial. That is, of course, only if you have the time, because I will eventually write the entire entry if no one else has done so (and if anyone else has the time to do so, by all means! just please contact me if you want to write something which is near the top of that list).